Cessna 170 Cuba

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Cessna 170 Cuba

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I read that Air Force One is visiting Cuba very soon.

Assume that intense airport security work is underway as we speak.

Naturally I began to think of the C170 in Cuba.

What do we know ?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
pdb

Re: Cessna 170 Cuba

Post by pdb »

Fly there yourself for us and report back.

EAA is having a webinar next week: Fly Your Own Plane to Cuba on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM CST.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

A Page out of N3498C's Logbook
A Page out of N3498C's Logbook
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Wow! Just incredible to see the history (even just imagine the history) of these planes. Miles, you just gave me another reason to feel so honored you chose us to restore 98C.
The other reasons......that I feel honored.......include you telling me of your families history with the plane, and seeing old pictures you've posted.

It would be interesting to hear from others in TIC170A, about the history of their aircraft, to include before and during ownership, even after ownership of you know. The good, the bad, the ugly; all the memories that give these aircraft individual character traits (I know, it's just a machine..........). There should be a "sticky" thread for this. Maybe there is already a thread on this, but I've missed or forgotten it.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

wingnut wrote:Wow! Just incredible to see the history (even just imagine the history) of these planes. Miles, you just gave me another reason to feel so honored you chose us to restore 98C.
The other reasons......that I feel honored.......include you telling me of your families history with the plane, and seeing old pictures you've posted.

It would be interesting to hear from others in TIC170A, about the history of their aircraft, to include before and during ownership, even after ownership of you know. The good, the bad, the ugly; all the memories that give these aircraft individual character traits (I know, it's just a machine..........). There should be a "sticky" thread for this. Maybe there is already a thread on this, but I've missed or forgotten it.
Thanks for the kind words, Del! As you know, 98C's history with my family is to a large extent the reason I decided to have her rebuilt in the first place, and these logbook entries documenting her trip to Havana just add a little spice to her history. In my mind, the rebuild is only going to add more. :D A return to Havana in 98C if/when things open back up would be icing on the cake!

I know there are those on these forums who disagree, but I have a very hard time thinking of her as "just a machine". I'm not ashamed to admit there are quite a few times after a long or somewhat trying trip I've patted her on the cowling and said, "good job girl". (A prime example is in this thread).

Speaking of a sticky thread for this kind of thing, the Photo Album one is probably as good as any. That's where, about a year ago, I first posted this picture from 98C's logbook.
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

The thing that made me pause was the frequency of the log book entries. Dang, people flew a lot and more often in those days! Guess I need to fire up and fly more often too!

That's a neat page Miles. Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by Kyle Wolfe on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
cessna170bdriver

Kyle, I guess he was just trying to get his money's worth out of a 6-month old airplane! :wink:
Miles

— Thomas Browne
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Hey Miles, I think you know this about me already; my comment "it's just a machine" was/is sarcasm (I forget to use the emoticons sometimes, especially when posting from an iPhone)
These "machines", whether it be an aircraft, truck, car, tractor, or even an old hand crank drill press; they all have our memories interwoven. This is why we salvage what we can when something breaks down (or gets broken). I still have the first vehicle my Darlin Companion and I purchased right after we were married. It needs an engine rebuild and some other work to be roadworthy again. It'll happen someday, but I'll never sell "the Beast" (a 1987 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban with a granny 4 speed). That rig has hauled me and family many miles cross-country. Until the time comes for it to hit the road again, I make money renting it out as a U-Lock-It storage unit. It'll sleep a family of eight if most of them hang their legs out the doors/windows. :lol:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
cessna170bdriver

Absolutely Del, I knew there was a "wink" or LOL after your "just a machine" comment, I just wanted everyone to know how I felt about it. :D
Miles

— Thomas Browne