Shipping control surfaces?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lopez

Shipping control surfaces?

Post by Lopez »

I have shipped and received here and there over the years. Over the past 18 months, I've obtained a fairly large collection of control surfaces (everything from 172 elevators to 206 flaps in terms of dimensions). I am selling them on eBay and through other online venues. I have always built custom crates in the past, but given this volume of parts, that is time consuming, and possibly unnecessary given that many of these are cores only and therefore not needing great protection. On the other hand, I want the buyer to get the parts as described and pictured in the ads. The other problem with wood crates is 9 lb control surface weighs 70 lbs crated. Any ideas/ suggestions? Should I keep crating them? I know I can get the parts to the buyer without damage hat way. What is a viable alternative? Would you as a buyer be okay spending 75-150 on shipping/crating when the core may only sell for $150?
canav8

Re: Shipping control surfaces?

Post by canav8 »

packing foam and bubble wrap. and tape. no need for wood crates. I have seen heavy machinery shipped this way. The key is to reinforce the corners.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

What we have done in the past is having 2 pieces of pine shaped into a 'U " be taped the length of the control surface and the surfaces protected each side with 2 1/2 in of polystyrene taped to the wood . For Cessna aileron the packaging weights about 9 lbs.
'
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Thanks for the input guys. My thoughts at this point are to ship cores with cardboard/foam and rebuilt parts in crates.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

You will never be able to totally eliminate custom wooden crating.

In some cases you are shipping "museum grade" aircraft parts. Almost unobtainable aircraft parts you procure and resell. You are providing a great service to GA.

I was interested in observing the crating of "SUE" the T REX, Very careful. She was most likely a taildragger you know. Kind of special to a few pilots. Wooden crates.

Your big concern is the Motor Freight carriers don't treat your product with respect once it is in their system. You insure it, they damage it, they will try to pay you .50 per lb for used equipment status.

If your receiver notices damage to shipping container and refuses delivery, it returns to terminal the Carrier may; without contacting you, sell the damaged parts to a local salvage yard IMMEDIATELY just to clear their very busy terminal facility. You will never retrieve your damaged parts.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I worked my way thru college by loading trucks on the freight docks at one of the big terminals in Dallas on the midnight shift. I often made the observation that those people could destroy an anvil.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
170C

Post by 170C »

Best to spend the extra money (premium) and insure your shipment rather than rely on the minimum limit per pound the carriers are required to provide.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
kylegreen229

Post by kylegreen229 »

At the company I work for I sell lots of parts on ebay as well. Control surfaces don't move too often but when they do you can find me spending about half a day making a wooden style crate and packing the control surface as well as I can because if not, they generally don't seem to fair to well.
1955 Cessna 170B