Visual Mountain Wave

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Visual Mountain Wave

Post by counsellj »

For those that have never seen it before, this is what mountain wave looks like. This was taken just east of Salt Lake City, Utah this morning. I was a 36,000 feet and I think the clouds were probably down near 25,000. Needless to say, nobody was flying through this area to verify. These waves are easily 1,000' tall and the vertical development over a short distance indicates this would be SEVERE!

Note the clouds farthest away. 8O

photo 1.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
cessna170bdriver

Re: Visual Mountain Wave

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Jughead, it is also worth mentioning that there are many examples of wave including clear air wave. Many glider pilots play in the wave including myself. It is very safe as long as you are educated.Wave is not your issue when operating around this area. More importantly is the phoen gap and the relative humidity during vfr operations. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Canav8

You are very correct that flying near waves, with the understanding that glider pilots that play in them possess can safely be done. But unfortunately at high Mach speeds in big airplanes with FA and Passengers in the back, it's not nearly as nice. Out big problem with wave is when crossing them at high angles, which we do a lot, it is very very easy to overspeed the jet. That and quite often we can't maintain altitude and remain on speed, due to deviations both high and low. I would love to experience wave soaring someday in a high performance glider. I'll bring my long johns and gloves if you are offering.

Merry Christmas

Jughead
canav8

Post by canav8 »

counsellj wrote:Canav8

You are very correct that flying near waves, with the understanding that glider pilots that play in them possess can safely be done. But unfortunately at high Mach speeds in big airplanes with FA and Passengers in the back, it's not nearly as nice. Out big problem with wave is when crossing them at high angles, which we do a lot, it is very very easy to overspeed the jet. That and quite often we can't maintain altitude and remain on speed, due to deviations both high and low. I would love to experience wave soaring someday in a high performance glider. I'll bring my long johns and gloves if you are offering.

Merry Christmas

Jughead
Agreed, Wave is always an adventure in my 767. Just wish my employer would stop encouraging me to deploy spoilers at 39K to stay below Vmo/Mmo in wave rather then throttles to idle. Bad technique.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug