Introduction to #1000

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Slfurst

Re: Introduction to #1000

Post by Slfurst »

Just read about your 170 and thought you might like a little more history on it. I believe the original owner was Samuel Blanc in Des Moine, Ia ( the inventer of the roto-rooter machine and company. ) He was in his late 60s when purchased it and flew it for about 10 years. My father purchased it to replace our champ that he was teaching my older brother to fly in. He majored the engine and we stripped the original minimal dark GREEN paint and used a newer design in light GREEN, and black over white. 76C originally had a crosswind gear. I started building time at 14 soloed her on my 16 birthday in 1963. The following year my dad installed a tow hook to pull a glider, that at 13 my sister ( Debby Rihn-Harvey) started learning to fly in. He sold the airplane in later part of the 60 to finish rebuilding a Bonanza. Our family had many fun trips and memory's with old 76C. I have kind of kept track of her through the years and is still a very good looking airplane.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Wow, Thanks for staring part of her history. No wonder she flies so well, she was taught by a great flying family. I'm sure Bill will be on here soon to add his comments. The tow hook is still with the airplane, but not installed.

Jughead
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

That is too cool!!

Seriously jealous, Bill.
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

What a great post! Thank you for that!

In reading the logs I knew the plane had seen the first half of its life in the midwest, and the southwest too I believe. The history of the first owner is awesome to know! I will go back through the logs and re-read the era you are talking about. I had read before I bought the plane about the tow hook, and every time I pre=flight the plane see the hole in the tail for the cable.

That particular history has interested me since I first read it! Thanks again for filling me in! It is a delight to fly, and I am enjoying it a lot. I'm in it every chance I am getting between these Northwest storms this year.

I might pick your brain in the near future if you don't mind ;)
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
Slfurst

Post by Slfurst »

Fly it to Oshkosh, my brother, sister and I are there every year, would love to see her. Another thing not sure if your aware of, there was a canvas bag in the back of the fuselage for fishing rods or rifle that mr Blanc installed with the rear baggage wall that had snaps and a special tool to unsnap and snap it. Contact me with questions at anytime. Scott Furstenberg Scott.furstenberg@gmail.com
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Will do. Great information!

Thanks!
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730