New Member Old Plane

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Seafeye

New Member Old Plane

Post by Seafeye »

Just a short intro,

I'm buying a 1951 Cessna 170A s/n 19837 from a member here. Looking forward to the next adventure.
I'd like to put the aircraft on floats. I have log books from 1954 but nothing from 1951-1954. First 754 hours are missing.
But there are some of the original STC's. It appears as in 1951 it was purchased by the state of MD. And put on floats.
And sometime during the missing log period the floats were removed. Then it spent most of its life in Dayton Ohio. Back to MD then to NC in 2011.
The previous owner has a huge stack of receipts, enough to scare me into thinking "What have i done"?
About 3300TT with 25SMOH. o-300 was converted to a "D" model and has an alternator and vacuum pump. It has a fair amount of STC's. If it ever stops raining here, and we get ceilings above 500's i'll go pick it up. Pics will follow when i figure this forum out.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
ghostflyer

Re: New Member Old Plane

Post by ghostflyer »

Welcome to the forum . You will find it informative and entertaining and the Occasion a giggle . I have a 170A serial no 19006 and have heaps of STC ,s . I look at STC,s as individualising the aircraft to you . Having a heap of receipts shows the aircraft has been looked after . They would be a great way to track what has been done and by who . Shame about the weather but it affects everybody . On days that I can't fly due to weather it's a cleaning day for the aircraft . A wash and polish and the cabin cleaned . And some little jobs that needed to be done on the aircraft .
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

NC...so was that Kem Dunnebacke's airplane? Congratulations on the new addition!

Where's home for you?
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

I haven't taken delivery yet. Trying maybe this weekend or next. I'm not really small airplane current so I am waiting till a colleague of mine has the same days off. for now the home base will be KIPJ. Or Lincoln NC. Just to the north west of Charlotte. I like a good mix of things, like 70% working on stuff and 30% enjoying. The airplane could use some paint but it's fine for the next few years. I like the Selkirk interiors, but first on the list is saving up for some edo2000's. Beware Lake Norman.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Seafeye wrote:I haven't taken delivery yet. Trying maybe this weekend or next. I'm not really small airplane current so I am waiting till a colleague of mine has the same days off. for now the home base will be KIPJ. Or Lincoln NC. Just to the north west of Charlotte. I like a good mix of things, like 70% working on stuff and 30% enjoying. The airplane could use some paint but it's fine for the next few years. I like the Selkirk interiors, but first on the list is saving up for some edo2000's. Beware Lake Norman.
Awesome! Glad to hear that the airplane will remain in NC. My wife's family is in the Concord area, and we fly out of W88 on the northeast side of Greensboro. If you ever head up this way (or even somewhere like Carthage for BBQ), let me know. It would be great to meet a fellow 170 enthusiast and check out a new airplane.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Seafeye wrote:Just a short intro,

I'm buying a 1951 Cessna 170A s/n 19837 from a member here. Looking forward to the next adventure.
I'd like to put the aircraft on floats. I have log books from 1954 but nothing from 1951-1954. First 754 hours are missing.
But there are some of the original STC's. It appears as in 1951 it was purchased by the state of MD. And put on floats.
And sometime during the missing log period the floats were removed. Then it spent most of its life in Dayton Ohio. Back to MD then to NC in 2011.
The previous owner has a huge stack of receipts, enough to scare me into thinking "What have i done"?
About 3300TT with 25SMOH. o-300 was converted to a "D" model and has an alternator and vacuum pump. It has a fair amount of STC's. If it ever stops raining here, and we get ceilings above 500's i'll go pick it up. Pics will follow when i figure this forum out.
Let me add my welcome to the forums!

If you haven't already, you might consider spending $10 on the FAA CD for your N-number to help fill in the missing logs. Every 337 that was ever filed on it will be there.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Congratulations.

Welcome.

Figures, hasn't rained here in PA of any consequence for 2 months and seeing as most of our weather comes through your area first I'd guess the same is true for your area. Thanks for buying a plane, what took you so long. We needed the rain badly. :lol:
Seafeye wrote:Pics will follow when i figure this forum out.
First thing to figure out is your forum membership is not upgraded to TIC170A status and you won't be able to post pictures until it is. Have you joined TIC170A? Let me know and we can get this straightened out.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
Seafeye wrote:Just a short intro,

Let me add my welcome to the forums!

If you haven't already, you might consider spending $10 on the FAA CD for your N-number to help fill in the missing logs. Every 337 that was ever filed on it will be there.

Great idea. I'm assuming that the FAA website has a link for the 337's?

I just joined/paid via PayPal. You should see that shortly.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
Bruce Fenstermacher

No the FAA does not have a link to the 337s directly. You can find the link to buy the CD however.

Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

Ok. Did that. Funny but if I type in the N5793C and the s/n it comes up as a 170B. Ordered the cd anyhow. Thx.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by Seafeye on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

So the insurance company would like me to get 5 hours dual instruction with a CFI in order to insure me.
Anyone near New Bern NC? Want to do some hurricane flying?
I'll check the CFI list but figure I'd try here as well.
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

Seafeye wrote:I haven't taken delivery yet. Trying maybe this weekend or next. I'm not really small airplane current so I am waiting till a colleague of mine has the same days off. for now the home base will be KIPJ. Or Lincoln NC. Just to the north west of Charlotte. I like a good mix of things, like 70% working on stuff and 30% enjoying. The airplane could use some paint but it's fine for the next few years. I like the Selkirk interiors, but first on the list is saving up for some edo2000's. Beware Lake Norman.
Wow, Seafeye, I just saw where you're bringing the plane to Lincoln County! I've been based there for about 4 1/2 years and love it! I've got a '55 B that I try to keep polished 8O in one of the T hangars. If there's anything I can do to help facilitate the move, please let me know. You can PM and I'll send you my email and phone number, or just look me up in the member guide. I look forward to another 170 on the field!!

Joe Persinger
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

I noticed that there are:
N5792c
And
N5795c

Still alive and well. They are both listed as a 1950 model.

Wondering how or why my N5793c is a 1951?
Could it be that it was sold in January 1951 so they just called it a 1951?

I found an orignal STC for the float install. Too large file too attach. It's been fun researching the history. She hasn't gotten around like some of my old girlfriends...
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837
Bruce Fenstermacher

Seafeye wrote:
Still alive and well. They are both listed as a 1950 model.

Wondering how or why my N5793c is a 1951?
Could it be that it was sold in January 1951 so they just called it a 1951?
Yes, happened often which is why you must use the serial number for the year model.

Seafeye

Post by Seafeye »

Picked up N5793C today. Little too tired to narrate a story, but a beautiful day to take delivery.
Attachments
image.jpeg
1950 Cessna 170A
N5793C
Serial 19837