Wheel Landings 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Re: Wheel Landings 170

Post by johneeb »

Jason, did you drive for nascar before you took up flying? (victory celebration donuts) :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

blueldr wrote:200 pounds still sounds pretty heavy to me. I have had to change a tailwheel tire up at Johnson Creek and I don't seem to remember the tailwheel being anywhere near that heavy. I do remember lifting it with my back under the horizontal stabilizer.
200 lbs. doesn't sound out of the realm of possibility to me. I used to lift mine that way too, and I always noticed that it got MUCH lighter as it raised.

PS: After seeing my buckled left side horizontal stabilizer ribs a few weeks ago, I vow to never lift it that way again.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Miles,

When it becomes necessary to lift the tail of an airplane in, or on, a back country air strip, one uses what is available.
BL
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

Oh my! When blueldr said he lifted it with his back, and I did the same thing, I never pictured lifting from the horizontal stabilizer, but only from under the fuselage itself very near the tail getting down on all fours and lifting only with my back long enough to let someone put a block of wood under the tailspring. Sorry to here about the buckled ribs! Did I read your post right cessna170driver?
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

blueldr wrote:Miles,

When it becomes necessary to lift the tail of an airplane in, or on, a back country air strip, one uses what is available.
I have lifted mine a couple times having to repair a flat tail wheel tire down at the end of a long runway. I always lifted the tail making sure I was directly under the horizontal stabilizer spar, close to the fuselage. I always carried a spare tire/tube, tube repair kit and a small air pump just in case.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

edbooth wrote:
blueldr wrote:Miles,

I have lifted mine a couple times having to repair a flat tail wheel tire down at the end of a long runway. I always lifted the tail making sure I was directly under the horizontal stabilizer spar, close to the fuselage. I always carried a spare tire/tube, tube repair kit and a small air pump just in case.

Several times I have also had to do this exact thing.
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

jmurtap wrote:
I'm still a relativity new driver with around 75hrs in the 170.
Looks more like 375 hours to me! Very nice! Like the intentional ground loops!