Triple Tree Fly In

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Triple Tree Fly In

Post by 170C »

There are many of you who have attended this fly in and I am wondering if you can give us some tips on where the best place to ask to be parked/tied down may be. From their website and one call it appears there are a couple of parking/tie down areas. General parking (not camping) and camping. It appears they prefer you not to park in the camping area if not camping so as not to tie up a camping spot. Just want some input. like everyone, we want to tie down closest to where most of the activities take place. We are not planning, at this time, to camp.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
sfarringer

Re: Triple Tree Fly In

Post by sfarringer »

The one time I went (last year), we were parked (and camped) under the trees at the west end.
While the shade was nice, it was a real pain cleaning off whatever substance the trees deposited on the airplane. I would avoid that area if possible.
Ragwing S/N 18073
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

170C wrote:There are many of you who have attended this fly in and I am wondering if you can give us some tips on where the best place to ask to be parked/tied down may be. From their website and one call it appears there are a couple of parking/tie down areas. General parking (not camping) and camping. It appears they prefer you not to park in the camping area if not camping so as not to tie up a camping spot. Just want some input. like everyone, we want to tie down closest to where most of the activities take place. We are not planning, at this time, to camp.
Frank,

From my (limited) experience, the flightline isn't exactly long and drawn out. It appears as though the condense the transient traffic into an area pretty close to the area to the north side of the control tower. I'll find out this year for myself. It looks like my wife may have to back out, so I may be scrambling to find someone to go with me. Not sure I want my first fly-in arrival with a complex and busy approach procedure to be solo. I'm very familiar with the area, but I want a second set of eyes to scan for traffic!
busav8or

Post by busav8or »

To me, the most desirable area to park in is just to the south of the tower near the pavilion and bath house. If you arrive on Wednesday or Thursday you should be able to park there. As the weekend progresses, the parking moves more to the north end of the field with planes stretched all the way to the end of the runway by Saturday! I totally agree with the "don't park under the trees" statement! It took me a week of machine polishing to clean the tree sap, or whatever it was, off the top of my plane a couple of years ago!

As far as the arrival goes, it's never been a very complicated procedure to me but I've always been able to arrive by Thursday. Saturday might be a different story. By then I'm usually sitting on the flight line under my wing with an adult beverage "grading" landings! :lol:
Former Caretaker of N4410B '55 170B
s/n: 26754
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This fly in was just shown on KLRU, our local PBS TV station. Nice!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)