C 170 in Museum?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Re: C 170 in Museum?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am glad to know that this hanger Queen is undergoing restoration. Her youthfulness will be revitalized as she springs into the air again.

For over thirty years I have thought that C170 owner/operators are more than just GA pilots.

It is not a complex design just needs careful detailed attention to maintenance and flight operations.

Together I think we collectively are a live flying museum. More than just pilots we are curators of that flying museum.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Obviously, we don't know the extent of the corrosion, but I was also bummed when I saw that the paint was stripped. As we all know, original factory paint is extremely rare. Not to knock the museum, but it seems odd to me that this is one of the best type associations in the world, with a wealth of technical and historical information about the C-170, and no one from the museum contacted us. We didn't know about the restoration until now. If someone from the museum contacted us in advance, we could have told them how rare the original paint was, and perhaps convinced them not to strip it. I doubt that there are many similar hanger queens left, and every time something like this happens, we lose valuable information. I hope they at least carefully documented the original paint job.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I was bummed when I saw the factory paint stripped off and their plan to consider any other scheme than the original one.[/quote]

This just kills me as well
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I also think the PCAM, like nearly all aviation museums is heavily weighted to the warbird/military side; that's what folks are interested in. I don't believe they truly understood the significance of the airplane and the importance of preserving it as it produced over 60 years ago. It was obviously just a little private airplane to them.

One thing for certain - if it was a 600 hour original P-51 they wouldn't have made a project for high school kids!

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That makes me sick. Some museum. They should be ashamed of themselves. What's next, stripping out the interior? Center-stack radios? Ace Demers Super Tips?
cowman57

Post by cowman57 »

gfeher wrote:Obviously, we don't know the extent of the corrosion, but I was also bummed when I saw that the paint was stripped. As we all know, original factory paint is extremely rare. Not to knock the museum, but it seems odd to me that this is one of the best type associations in the world, with a wealth of technical and historical information about the C-170, and no one from the museum contacted us. We didn't know about the restoration until now. If someone from the museum contacted us in advance, we could have told them how rare the original paint was, and perhaps convinced them not to strip it. I doubt that there are many similar hanger queens left, and every time something like this happens, we lose valuable information. I hope they at least carefully documented the original paint job.
My 52B model still has the original paint mostly, but not in the best condition.
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

Oh well..

I'm going to contact the lead gent at the Museum this week, and inquire about photos that they have on file. Perhaps there's been more documentation of the originality than what the newsletter leads us to assume. I'll report my findings!

- Joseph
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Here's a 1958 182 with 200 TT. At least it's appreciated for its rarity.
http://casperjournal.com/community/arti ... fa1df.html
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/E ... ANE-185547
DWood

Post by DWood »

Arash
It can be yours as it is being sold with NO reserve at Barrett-Jackson in January.
It will be interesting to see how much it brings.
We hoped that it would have been at Oshkosh this past July.
Dan