C 170 in Museum?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

C 170 in Museum?

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I think there should be a Cessna 170 on permanent display in a A MAJOR museum. Have I missed something?

Point me in the right direction.

I have seen the Jeri Mock C-180 rightfully hanging high in ceiling at Smithsonian. Flew around the world solo. Tied plane down and put on homemakers apron. Satisfied.

But what about our Cessna 170s?

Isn't it Time?

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Re: C 170 in Museum?

Post by flyboy122 »

I don't know about any 170's in museums (I'm sure there are), but I'm about 2/3's through Jerrie Mock's book (3 8 Charlie) and I would consider it required reading for any propeller head. An incredible journey by an incredible pilot! It's also a fascinating look at aviation in the 60's, when our airplanes weren't considered classics.

DEM
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I don't think we need to have any 170's in any museum that isn't going to fly them. Let's keep as many in the air as we can.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Western NC Air Museum has a 1954 B model. The airplanes in the museum fly, though this one hasn't for quite some time. I believe it was donated after it sat when the previous owner passed. There is a 1952 B model in a museum outside in Japan, if memory serves.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

How about this one? Should be in the "Russ Farris Collection of Unrestored Cessnas" !

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/csp/mediap ... ry=2340163
All glory is fleeting...
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The lengthy storage of that C-170B at Santa Rosa is kind of strange. It does not appear to be in an isolated storage hangar since there appears to be the tail of another airplane in the background of the picture. I'm kind of surprized that someone hasn't talked the owner into selling it. Maybe sentimentality was the reason.
I also think it is kind of a shame to put it in a museum. I'd much rather see it restored and flying again.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick, I am with you and Miles on this. While there is likely a historic 170 somewhere that should be in a museum or one that is so eaten up that it could never be made flyable, that is the one ('s) that need to be in a museum. Redo the others and keep um flying :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

I read that this low time (600hr) '54B, at Pacific Coast Air Museum will in fact be restored to flying condition ... ?

I'll make some calls, and find out for sure!

- Joseph
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

Latest information that I know in the following link .. scroll down to 170B

http://www.pacificcoastairmuseum.org/fi ... -Scoop.pdf

- Joseph
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Thanks for the link to the current status on the Santa Rosa 170B. I'm actually saddened by what I saw.

Without having seen up close and personal this airplane, I can't say for sure but the restoration seems unnecessary. This was an original, hangared 600 hour aircraft and I suspect the corrosion was minimal and would have polished out perfectly. It's only original once and to see beautiful factory paint stripped away is almost criminal. Preservation should have been the goal.

I've been involved in museum projects before and the damage that can be done by well-meaning volunteers can be considerable. I'm all for getting young people involved in aviation but this airplane is the last thing I would have turned them loose on. The last line in the article about selecting a paint scheme and colors doesn't bode well.

Too bad Dillon Barron and his Dad didn't get to this first. I met them at Sun-N-Fun this year and they totally appreciated my original survivor 1957 172.
Dillon's Oshkosh winning 170 was a stunning airplane to see, with even the original clear plastic cover master relay!

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am glad to know that this hanger Queen is undergoing restoration. Her youthfulness will be revitalized as she springs into the air again.

For over thirty years I have thought that C170 owner/operators are more than just GA pilots.

It is not a complex design just needs careful detailed attention to maintenance and flight operations.

Together I think we collectively are a live flying museum. More than just pilots we are curators of that flying museum.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Obviously, we don't know the extent of the corrosion, but I was also bummed when I saw that the paint was stripped. As we all know, original factory paint is extremely rare. Not to knock the museum, but it seems odd to me that this is one of the best type associations in the world, with a wealth of technical and historical information about the C-170, and no one from the museum contacted us. We didn't know about the restoration until now. If someone from the museum contacted us in advance, we could have told them how rare the original paint was, and perhaps convinced them not to strip it. I doubt that there are many similar hanger queens left, and every time something like this happens, we lose valuable information. I hope they at least carefully documented the original paint job.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I was bummed when I saw the factory paint stripped off and their plan to consider any other scheme than the original one.[/quote]

This just kills me as well
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I also think the PCAM, like nearly all aviation museums is heavily weighted to the warbird/military side; that's what folks are interested in. I don't believe they truly understood the significance of the airplane and the importance of preserving it as it produced over 60 years ago. It was obviously just a little private airplane to them.

One thing for certain - if it was a 600 hour original P-51 they wouldn't have made a project for high school kids!

Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That makes me sick. Some museum. They should be ashamed of themselves. What's next, stripping out the interior? Center-stack radios? Ace Demers Super Tips?