Introductory Post, from Idaho

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

VFR52170B

Introductory Post, from Idaho

Post by VFR52170B »

Fellow 170 enthusiasts and taildraggers;

I am very pleased to join this forum, and the association. My name is Joseph Thompson, and I hail from the mountains above the Boise River, in south-central Idaho. I'm 28, married 1 year (next week!), and enjoying the rural lifestyle the this country provides.

So, I do not yet have my P.P.L, however am perusing it actively. Starting off in an C-180, and Aeronca L-3, most of my hours are tail wheel time. I have also logged time in the Pa-28, Pa-23, C-185, C-140, and of course, the beloved C-170. (1952, B). It would be most pleasant to someday own a 170, and this is a goal which I shall strive to achieve.

Being married now is a great joy! Spending more time with her, has taken me away from the ranch, and punchin' cows! Rather, I find myself landed behind the desk again, primarily doing flight simulator software and web development.

I'm anxious to get to know each of you, as personally as possible. I'm full of questions! More on that it a little bit!

Thanks in advance to all the community members here, who work toward keeping this whole bunch together!

- Joseph
imncntrl

Re: Introductory Post, from Idaho

Post by imncntrl »

Welcome, that's supposed to be a great place to fly.
Jared N5786C
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Welcome Joseph.
I'm a new pilot also and this group has been most helpful, friendly and encouring. A lot of our members are in route or at our annual convention in Gulf Shores, AL so responses to the forum may be spotty for the next week or so.
Again, Welcome!
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Welcome to the forum and the Association Joseph.

Folks, Joseph and I have exchanged email and a nice phone conversation. He has a very interesting project which he eventually wants to share with us and as I'm learning he has a very rich family history in aviation we might also enjoy hearing stories about.

But hey I want to hear ore about "has taken me away from the ranch, and punchin' cows!". Punchin cows? We don't do that in these parts. What is that all about?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome Joseph, thanks for joining. If you go the the members area you'll see the membership directory. Jerry Terlisner is a long standing member located in Boise very close to the airport. Super guy! He's a great member and likely a good contact if your in the 170 search mode.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

Well, good-morning!
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I am aware of the convention this weekend.. Can't wait to photos from the event!

Well, "punchin" cows, let's see... I guess it's pretty much like the John Wayne movies, complete with pistols and 5-gallon hats! I trained horses for several years, from the ground-up. Mostly working horses, and cow horses. Out here, acreage doesn't go that far. The family owned ranch is 2000 acres, however we're only one of the smallest ranches in the community. (Prairie, population - about 75)

There are some great back-country flying opportunities out here.. However several of the 170 guys that I've spoke with, seem to want a bit more poop than that 145 horse...

Destinations like Cabin Creek, Dewey Moore, Mackey Bar, and Pistol Creek are a few that come to mind.

Our own local airstrip is 2U0. It's 5400ft in length, with plenty of room! Can get a little dusty, however.. so painted birds might be cautious. Elevation is just about 5000ft, too.

Jim, thanks for the heads up with Jerry!

- Joseph
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome Joseph!

Good luck with your flight training and search for an airplane. I think you are on the right track with getting a 170 with a horsepower upgrade. Having flown in Idaho a fair amount, 180hp would be my choice, either Lycoming or Continental, they both perform very well.

Would you be able to put up a hangar at the airport? Even a small Port-A-Port hangar would be enough to get the plane out of the weather and they are surprisingly inexpensive.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
170C

Post by 170C »

Welcome to the 170 Assn Joseph. Glad to have a young man joining with us older guys and gals. You will bring some fresh ideas to our group. I am impressed with the information you have shared with us, especially enjoy seeing a photo of a member, we all should do so. Yes, a bunch of us will be in Gulf Shores this coming week, but a lot of us will be checking the forum every day or so.
Thanks for telling Bruce a bit about the "real" west. We have to help out our yankee members from time to time :lol: As a displaced Texan I have to explain some of these same things to others occasionally. Let us know when we can help you and plan to bring your bride to one of our upcoming conventions.
Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Joseph, one of the coolest things about this Association I think is that I know have someone I call a friend who lives on a 2000 acre ranch and punches cows wearing six guns and 5 gallon hats like I have only seen in the movies.

Around my house an acre cost on average $100,000 so your small 2000 acre ranch would be worth $2,000,000,000. Lets just say you wouldn't need to punch cows if you could own that kind of land around here. We often talk about survival equipment. We don't carry any around here because if we have an accident in our plane we are likely to have hit a house. Most likely a neighbor will call for help. As I can not begin to comprehend your home area, you can not mine.

Meeting and to know people just a little of such varied culture, I find more fascinating that the 170 we all appreciate.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Joseph welcome,

Be careful while out there punching those cows as this is the season that the Blue Leader (aka Blueldr) goes to Idaho. He is the one with the 44cal. side arm saying things like do you feel lucky punk :roll: (you can learn a lot about aviation from him, we all have).
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Joesph
Welcome from Texas! I was just a couple of years older than you when I joined this group in 82 and have been on the family ranch all my life. There are a few others that are likely to have used grass on their boots as well. I was a member for ten years before going to my first convention. (Only missed two since) That ten year wait is about the only regret I have about my years as a member.
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

Gents,
I'm sure honored by the kind words. Thank-you!

A few photos from our local strip;
170 photos on the way.. :) *wink

- Joseph
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joseph.... WELCOME!

Always GLAD to have new Members..... or a new baby CALF! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)