Lyc IO360 upgrade

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Re: Lyc IO360 upgrade

Post by blueldr »

IMHO the above is almost unreadable with the print lines wxtending clear across the screen. That is why they invented columns and paragraphs.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick, I didn't have any problem reading the post on my phone. I have occasionally had the issue you mentioned on both my phone and desk computer. Don't know why or what the solution is bit maybe some of our folks can offer you a solution.
Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:IMHO the above is almost unreadable with the print lines wxtending clear across the screen. That is why they invented columns and paragraphs.
That is true BL but this is not a magazine or newspaper and the column width is dynamic. If you narrow down the window into a readable column width it is much better.
Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 4.19.21 PM.png

Yes clear paragraphs would also help which is why I always double space between paragraphs.

Chances are what ever device rodak was typing on, it looked fine which is another problem. Almost any electronic device is now ALMOST compatible. :?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
VFR52170B

Post by VFR52170B »

blueldr wrote:IMHO the above is almost unreadable with the print lines wxtending clear across the screen. That is why they invented columns and paragraphs.
Great first post above ya BL. What's wxtending ?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

VFR52170B wrote:
Great first post above ya BL. What's wxtending ?
"extending" for old geezers that hunt and peck on a keyboard.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

"Wextending" is when you try to poke the "e" key and unknowingly overshoot and hit the "w" key instead because you're watching the keys instead of the results.

I do it all the time.
BL
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

I LOVE my Lyc -360 upgrade to my '55 170B. Along with the 3-blade MT composite prop, new mounts and dynamic balancing...she purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion when power is asked for. I flew last month with a bunch of C85 and C90 and O-300 powered planes. I was happy to be the 'truck' n the group to carry all the beer and camping gear, and a 6'-5" 290 lbs pax who could not fit in the other planes. We all cruised at 100mph down low. At 1900 rpm and 20" of MP, running 50 ROP, I kept with the group burning less fuel per hour than they were.
John
cworman

Post by cworman »

John,

I don't blame you for liking your 360 upgrade. I talked to DelAire & would have used that upgrade in a heart beat had I not started with Stoots already! We are finally starting the Stoots upgrade & will be talking more in the near future. It will be nice to run some comparisons with everyone.

Lets face it, if they fly they are all good. I understand the nostalgia of staying original, that is great for some but not all. I had enough 180 time to know that I want the power. In that, there is also a safety factor, as my strip at home has been called a "helipad" by some, & when my wife or grandkids, etc. climb in, I want to know that we are taking off safely. I can not do that with the O300, period. Rodak's post's were great, as they covered all the bases honestly & sincerely. I know the IO360 will give me the performance I want without the expense of the 180.

Thank you to all who share in your thoughts & knowledge! I appreciate them all.
cworman N2218B
cworman

Post by cworman »

We'll things are starting to happen! The IO-360 is hanging on the front of 2218B, panel changes have been laid out, it won't be long now. If I ever get this forum thing figured out, I might post some pics. It has went unbelievably smooth for this type of project so far. Many thanks to a very GOOD shop & crew!
cworman N2218B
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

cworman wrote: If I ever get this forum thing figured out, I might post some pics.
Only members of TIC170A can post pictures. If you are a member send me your member number in a message to the webmaster and we will get your account upgraded.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Non-Members may post if your pics are stored off-site (such as photobucket, etc) and a link provided.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

One of my friends has a Cessna 182 and we have often done trips together, he in his Cessna 182 and myself in my 180hp. Cessna 170A. We leave at the same time but most times I am there before him . I have a fixed pitch prop and sit at 2550 rpm most times . Most times I beat him there by a few minuets and then have a go at him on such slow RED aircraft .
His 182 is built in 1975 and has the continental engine in it. However Greg (182 owner) is of the old school and will not use GPS. " They might switch it off when I am flying " . He will not go above 4000ft unless terrain requires him to climb higher . " The ground goes a lot slower when you are higher and its boring ." Quote Greg.
I look at the winds and direction and fly at or higher than 7800 ft and use GPS. I have found this to be the most economical cruise altitude . I often have a ground speed of excess of 135 kts plus. My fuel consumption is around 36 litres a hour or even less when with a strong tail wind . I throttle it back for fuel savings .
He has a go at me and states " what's under that cowl must be illegal for you to beat me " however I have found that GPS has saved me so much fuel/ time and having 180hp Lycoming clone ( Superior engine ) has really transformed this aircraft .
cworman

Post by cworman »

Well needless to say, but I am getting anxious to say the least! I have pics of the new "Heartbeat" hanging on the front of 2218B, but all the pics are to big to post & am not computer geek enough to change them. (so much for computers making life simple)
It is all pretty impressive though, but you will just have to take my word for it. Ole IO looks good hanging out there, which reminds me, I have a very nice O-300, firewall forward for sale or trade. 860Hrs on complete O/H - same time on prop s/new- starter drive new, very clean & dry. You will be ready to change oil by the time you need to add a quart.

As far as running with the Big Dogs (180's/182's) time will tell for me, but I believe I will be satisfied. I'm encouraged by everyone's own personal testimonies though.
cworman N2218B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I used to operate a Hawker out of Austin Mueller, while a friend operated a Lear out of the same hangar. We both often flew non-stop from there to DCA (Wash Nat'l). The Lear was 18 knots faster by specification, yet we typically had 10-15 minute shorter flight times.
We finally decided that choice of cruising altitude (we would choose FL370 to 410 eastbound and 310 to 350 westbound while the Lear operated about 3-5 thousand feet higher).. and actual flight-plan route... was the reason for the Hawker operating shorter flight times.

The point was also decided that over that distance (only about 1100 miles) the speed difference was not sufficient to allow the Lear any significant advantage and what advantage it did possess was lost on the navigational choices. (We had a crude RNAV system and often received "present heading until VOR-direct" while he did not and remained on airways.)

PS: The Hawker was only blue.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cworman

Post by cworman »

gahorn wrote:I used to operate a Hawker out of Austin Mueller, while a friend operated a Lear out of the same hangar. We both often flew non-stop from there to DCA (Wash Nat'l). The Lear was 18 knots faster by specification, yet we typically had 10-15 minute shorter flight times.
We finally decided that choice of cruising altitude (we would choose FL370 to 410 eastbound and 310 to 350 westbound while the Lear operated about 3-5 thousand feet higher).. and actual flight-plan route... was the reason for the Hawker operating shorter flight times.

The point was also decided that over that distance (only about 1100 miles) the speed difference was not sufficient to allow the Lear any significant advantage and what advantage it did possess was lost on the navigational choices. (We had a crude RNAV system and often received "present heading until VOR-direct" while he did not and remained on airways.)

PS: The Hawker was only blue.
Nothing beats the good ole school of "Hard Knocks" & a good memory bank!!

Thanks for sharing some real good insight.
cworman N2218B