Gone West - Bill Wehner

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Gone West - Bill Wehner

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

A call from Bob Coats brought the bad news that Association Co-founder Bill Wehner, C#2, had apparently had a heart attack Thursday night, 6/11, and did not survive.

Besides being a co-founder, Bill's contributions to this Association, in so many capacities over it's existence, can not be measured. I particularly looked forward to Bill taking the podium at convention to award the Co-founders award. He rarely got straight to the point but rather had a story to tell and he was a good story teller. An extension of that we all saw on a regular bases as Bill wrote his column Off Airways for us regularly. In fact unlike most other material for publication we often had two of Bill's stories "in the can". Thanks Bill.

Some of you who've read Bill's column may have noticed it always ended with -30- and wondered why. As a 5th generation printer I knew it was a journalist method in the old days, to signify that is all or the end of the story. I'll miss seeing it.

- 30 -
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Gone West - Bill Wehner

Post by GAHorn »

Bill Wehner... the person I view as the true Founder of our Association... was the most generous, kind-hearted, and humble Member of our little group.
His Member Number, C2, I believe was made in his deference toward allowing that number in his kindnesses toward John D. Benham who had later begun a seperate " typeclub" for the purpose of dealing in spare 170 parts. Bill's group had the "family-gathering" characteristic ... a predominant trait which survives within our group to this day, I believe as the personal contribution of Bill Wehner. The merger of the two groups occurred in Wichita, KS in 1969 at the first convention in which the present Assoc'n was formalized. We still have Members who were in attendance at that convention.

I really looked forward to seeing Bill this year at Gulf Shores, and we will all miss him.

Godspeed, Bill!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

We will miss the humor, the intensity and great love of not only the Cessna 170 but "little' airplanes in general. His contributions and love for our Association and it's members will leave a void that may never be filled. So long Brother Bill.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George I have the same thoughts of Bill.

I see the member numbers 1 and 2 and think of them more like 1/2 or one half in this case. Each together making a whole or 1. Bill's number, the denominator of the fraction is seen on the base or the foundation of the fraction. Bill certainly fit the role of his numbers position.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:George I have the same thoughts of Bill.

I see the member numbers 1 and 2 and think of them more like 1/2 or one half in this case. Each together making a whole or 1. Bill's number, the denominator of the fraction is seen on the base or the foundation of the fraction. Bill certainly fit the role of his numbers position.
I like it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Bill Wehner, one of the First Aero Squadron Foundation’s (“FASF”) principal founders, and its second President, has ‘gone west,’ in the favored vernacular of his fellow aviators. Bill died last night at his beloved Airpark home in Columbus, New Mexico. His wife Mary was by his side.

Bill was Founding Chair of the Columbus, New Mexico Historic Preservation Commission (CHPC) under former Village Mayor, Martha Skinner. The Commission was responsible for having the First Aero Squadron Airfield named to New Mexico’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Sites Register in 2006.

He was the principal organizer of FASF in 2007 and served on the Board of Trustees continuously until 2014, and was its President from 2010 to 2014. He negotiated the first land purchase and runway extension; and is responsible for the current 160 acre site acquisition, which additional acreage will mean that the FASF will finally control and own the entire US Army Airfield, right where it was located back in 1917 – 1917. Besides a replicated 1916 Flight Line, the land is planned to also house a museum dedicated to the pre-World War II era of American Aviation.

Bill served as President and/or CEO of the Village of East Davenport Association, Iowa Nursery and Landscape Assn., and the Scott County Handicapped Development Center, where he was involved in its multi-million dollar expansion. With Texan, John D. Benham, he was co-founder and Charter President of the International Cessna 170 Association. The Cessna model 170 was one of the Cessna Airplane Company’s most popular four place single engine airplanes.

Always an enthusiast for history as well as aviation matters wherever he lived, Bill served on the Davenport (Ohio) Airport Commission and also on its Historic Preservation Commission. In Iowa, he operated and sold two successful businesses, and partnered with his wife, Mary McClain, in Historic Restoration contracting. He served on the Scott College Board, and taught landscape design there for 30 years. For almost 50 years Bill wrote for his national trade press and for the Quad City Times, and was featured on the PBS show, “About Your House.” He was an instrument rated Private Pilot, long-time airplane owner, and self-confessed history nut. Bill authored and published his first novel, “Tracking Julie Stensvahl,” just a few years ago.

Bill’s first post-High School job was with the US Forest Service in Idaho’s Clearwater National Forest. He and his wife, Mary, relocated to Columbus, New Mexico in 2002, and quickly became deeply engaged in local civic affairs, after having spent some 25 years exploring the Southwest. They made their new high desert home in an attractive and comfortably outfitted airplane hangar just six miles from the Mexican border and only three miles North of the historic Village of Columbus.

Bill’s many local friends and those scattered all over the U.S., those with whom he often became friends through the common bond he shared among his fellow aviators, especially members of his Cessna 170 Club, will miss his dynamic presence. The FASF most likely wouldn’t exist, were it not for the tireless and creative efforts of Bill Wehner.

When Services for Bill are announced, they will be immediately posted here on your FASF Website.

A Tribute to Bill Wehner in his passing by James Efferson our local accountant

"One of the prime moving powers of Wings Over The Border, Bill Wehner, passed away last night (6/11/15). We will all miss his enthusiasm, talent for organising, and especially his acerbic wit. I spent part of the day with him and Mary this past Tuesday. He was weak, but in good spirits. Please join me in wishing him well as he embarks on a new adventure, navigating the universe. Bon Voyage, Bill."
=========================================================================================================

This came off the web site http://firstaerosquadronaerodrome.com/
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

That's really nice Gary, thanks for re-posting it here.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Met Bill once, loved reading his articles , straight forward an honest but yet a gentle man...... will miss him.

Hope to see you again some day Bill, God Speed.

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

He certainly was big in many ways and we will miss his excellent thought delivery.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
170C

Post by 170C »

Becky and I were saddened when Bob Coats called to tell us of Bill's passing. Quite a shock! Bill was the consummate gentleman and a friend to all who associated with he and Mary. A gentle giant! I count myself fortunate to have known Bill for many years. Bill's wit was always something to look forward to hearing. I consider one of my highest honors was to have been presented the Founders Award by Bill and Dorothy Benham at the 2013 convention. RIP Bill
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018