Mode C reporting in movement areas at all airports

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Avee8or

Re: Mode C reporting in movement areas at all airports

Post by Avee8or »

ATC is using transponders in ground vehicles as well as part of their program to make ground ops safer. Go on flightradar24 or similar site and zoom over any large airport--you will see aircraft on ground and the occasional fire truck or ops vehicle.

With ADSB being implemented, you are basically always squawking your ID and position data. (ADSB out is either implemented through the ATC transponder or a separate box that is tied to the transponder code) I have had ADSB in my "Brand P" airplane for a year now, and am seeing more and more GA traffic on the ground reporting their ADSB info. It can be useful to know someone is about to launch when you are inbound and haven't been switched to CTAF from approach control, for example. Hopefully the price will come down, as it is a great tool for weather info and an increasingly valuable tool for traffic info--especially in the busy airspace where I am in the NE. The 170 is in the shop now getting its ADSB out fitted.
Varel Freeman

170B N3211A
195 N195GW
PA31 N508Y
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I bought a Stratus at OSH this year. I liked having nexrad and winds reports on the flight home. And it's great to be able to see traffic, especially here in the Denver area where things are pretty busy. I don't have "out", but sometimes my airplane shows up on the iPad traffic display, I guess because I'm detected on Denver approach radar.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You will only see the traffic when there is another aircraft in the same area with ABS-out to excite the system.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Yes, but that's close to 100% of the time in the Denver area. Even flying home from OSH we didn't lose traffic for more than a few minutes at a time. The bigger problem was not seeing any ADSB towers for about an hour in eastern Colorado.
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Varel,

Would it be acceptable to ask what ADS-B out system you are having installed in your 170? I am tentatively in the Market for a 170, and am trying to budget for ADS-B since I live under the Seattle Bravo airspace.

Thanks!
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ATC radar generates the TIS system data by interrogating txdrs, then rebroadcasting to receiver/displays equipped for it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)