IPad software glitch...DO NOT upgrade to ios8.3

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

IPad software glitch...DO NOT upgrade to ios8.3

Post by GAHorn »

Notice from Fltplan.com

NOTICE: iPad Users.
Do not upgrade to iOS8.3 if you use DUAL XGPS150/160, Bad Elf, and Garmin Glo* GPS.

Apple's new iOS8.3 release has a bug in it that makes the DUAL GPS150/160, Bad Elf, and Garmin Glo GPS units inoperable. This affects all apps (and not just FltPlan Go or FltPlan Legacy). This is an Apple iOS8.3 issue, and not a problem with DUAL, Bad Elf or Garmin. Apple has been made aware of this problem, and they will hopefully correct this in their next release.
Please see the Apple discussion board at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6991643

* Note Garmin has fixed the issue with a firmware update to 2.7.
Please consult Garmin on how to get Firmware 2.7

Once again, it is a good practice not to update to a newer Apple iOS version, until it has been made public for at least several weeks.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Re: IPad software glitch...DO NOT upgrade to ios8.3

Post by lowNslow »

I ran into this issue, even waited a few weeks to upgrade, but of course soon as I did I found out my Bad Elf Pro wouldn't work. (The Bad Elf Pro Plus does work). I chastised Bad Elf for not testing their products when iOS8.3 was still in beta (about four months before release). It is fixed with iOS8.4 which is out only as a beta right now, release date unknown.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

I know numerous folks who are using iPad's and also have the Bad Elf or similar units. It is my understanding if the iPad does not have the built in GPS that a Bad Elf or other is required. However I also know some who have the built in gps and also have the Elf. I am just wondering if there is any reason to use one of these additional units as long as your pad has the gps? I have never found that my iPad Mini has needed the additional antenna, but want to know if I am missing something.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Maybe you know numerous folks...and they are the same folks....since you're posting double? :lol:
(I just had to kid you about that rather than correct the double post, since you recently jabbed ME for it.) :twisted:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well before I read Georges post, I deleted the double post.

Frank the built in GPS is not a WAAS receiver. The Bad Elf and others are.

SO, it you want to be accurate to 10 ft rather than 100 ft, use an external GPS (and it is more than an antenna, it is an entire GPS receiver and antenna in that external GPS)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about the WAAS deal. So I am guessing :roll: that since my flying is all (hopefully) 8O daytime, vfr accuracy of 100 ft would seem to be acceptable.

George, I was just doing the double thing to see if you were watching :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Everyone should keep in mind that..... WAAS is going to be REQUIRED equipment in the not-to-distant future for most airplanes. This will include all aircraft operating IFR or operating in/near Class C airspace.
Anyone contemplating a GPS unit should bear that in mind and avoid non-WAAS units when price is not that different.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:As of the last report from the DOT, even though the FAA has been spending nearly $1 billion annually on the NextGen rollout they are behind schedule. As a result of their problems and delays, the report made a determination that the FAA will likely not be ready to mandate the use of ADS-B by 2020.

I'm in no rush...and apparently neither is the FAA! :lol:
If the FAA isn't ready, does that mean we're all grounded?
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote:Everyone should keep in mind that..... WAAS is going to be REQUIRED equipment in the not-to-distant future for most airplanes. This will include all aircraft operating IFR or operating in/near Class C airspace.
Anyone contemplating a GPS unit should bear that in mind and avoid non-WAAS units when price is not that different.
Keep in mind that just because it is WAAS does not mean it is "certified" as far as the FAA is concerned. A certified unit for ADS-B or IFR use is MUCH more expensive.
Karl
ASW-20BL
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

FYI, the glitch is not 100% fixed...
Hi Tony,

Here are a few more things for you to try:

We have confirmed that if your iPad or iPhone has a Lightning connector (the small connector about 1/4" across) updating the Garmin GLO to firmware version 2.7 will resolve the iOS 8.3 GPS issue.

IMPORTANT: If your iPad or iPhone has the older, 30-pin connector, the GLO firmware version 2.7 will NOT resolve the iOS 8.3 GPS issue. We are still optimistic that Apple will release a fix for these iPads and iPhones before long.

After updating the GLO:

1. Power off Garmin GLO
2. On the iPad, tap Apple Settings > Bluetooth > forget this device for the GLO
3. On the iPad, turn Bluetooth OFF
4. Power off / reboot iPad
5. On the iPad, open Apple Setting and turn Bluetooth ON
6. Power on Garmin GLO
7. Wait for paring request pop up and accept
8. Tap the GLO "not connected" entry to get "connected"

Give that a try and let us know if you have any questions -- we're happy to help!

Scott Tidwell
Pilot Support Team
ForeFlight, LLC

Message-Id:JTC14Z2H_557631b860552_28af3f8a2fecd3281731b_sprut
Apparently my old iPad 2 combined with the GLO isn't fixed, and may or may not be fixed until iOS 8.4 is released on or around June 30. Has anyone been able to get this combo to work with iOS 8.3?
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

This GPS bug will not be fixed until iOS 8.4 is released which should be this month.
Karl
ASW-20BL