Attention to detail

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

marathonrunner

Attention to detail

Post by marathonrunner »

This is sort of a rant. I really really am starting to hate taking on new annuals. It seems that owners shop around for the best price instead of the best value. After years of this the aircraft is usually in a condition that it takes a lot of parts and labor to bring into an airworthy condition. A lot of these aircraft seem to be migrating north to Alaska from southern states. Below is a Lycoming oil pan gasket removed from an engine that was installed at overhaul 700 hours ago. The hole with the damaged gasket is for the oil pump pick up. It took over 40 seconds for oil pressure to register and "has been this way since overhaul" I put oil in to go over the gasket level, started the engine and had instant oil pressure. Drain oil remove sump, see that yes gasket was indeed damaged and install new gasket. Start engine oil pressure instantly beyond red line, immediately shut down, remove tall tower oil pressure relief valve, remove NINE washers, reinstall spring and oil pressure normal. What the H are these shops down there thinking when they do things like this? This is an example of yet another engine from a well known shop and state that borders the Mexican border and starts with a "T" and ends in "S" but did not include enough "S's" when they named the state.

Different aircraft for the master cylinders. Please note that it felt very loose and owner was adamant about not removing it for inspection. I removed it anyway and you can see the holes are about twice the size of normal and at some point failure was imminent. This would have been a no brake situation and rudder pedal going to firewall.

I realize most owner pilots are endowed with super powers and can handle any situation so good maintenance is not always necessary. However I am more concerned with who might be in the other seats when super powers fail hence detailed inspections. Oh yes the brake cylinders on this aircraft were leaking. I removed pistons and everything was clean. I removed O rings from pistons and they were much smaller than the correct new ones I installed which remedied the leak...Parts books are not always correct so use some common sense when doing maintenance. If things are loose and should not be investigate it, if it leaks fix it, if it is supposed to move and does not make it right. All these aircraft are recent immigrants from down south. I think this should dispel the myth of Alaska bush mechanics fixing things with bailing wire and bubble gum. There many STC's and parts manufactured up here and most flying aircraft are in good mechanical condition. Please at least once a decade spend the money to have a thorough inspection and maintenance done to your aging antique aircraft.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's not done till it's overdone
hilltop170

Re: Attention to detail

Post by hilltop170 »

Good catches on your part, not easy problems to trouble shoot. I understand your frustration but not all improper/bootleg repairs are done by certified mechanics, no matter where they come from. Where did the other airplane come from that had unairworthy repairs or lack thereof? Plenty of unqualified people do all sorts of bad things, and guess what, they don't always make log book entries to record what they did. If a certified mechanic put 9 washers in the relief valve I would be very surprised and if so, a SDR should be filed with the FSDO.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

The other was from Minnesota
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I agree with Richard, that simply because an airplane came from down South.... that down-south airplanes are automatically suspect. (ALL airplanes not in Alaska are from "down south".) :roll:

But, having said that.... I'd be willing to bet a few beers that the defective overhaul... if not a subsequent modification of original repair... came from a town in "T" that starts with "D".... and I don't mean Dallas. I mean DEVINE!

I've almost been killed a couple of times in aircraft that were "worked on" from that outfit in Devine, TX that paints and "repairs" airplanes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

What kind of beer??? I will buy when I see you :D
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Where is this oil pressure relief valve you speak of? Mine runs on the high side, and think I would like to have a mechanic check this valve, if there is one associated with the c145.
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

jmurtap wrote:Where is this oil pressure relief valve you speak of? Mine runs on the high side, and think I would like to have a mechanic check this valve, if there is one associated with the c145.
Jason, the C-145 has a pressure relief valve that is similar in appearance to a Lycoming but works different. The Lycoming works as a regulator. It is almost always open somewhat and bypassing oil to maintain a set pressure. The C-145 only opens and bypasses high out of range oil pressure. The C-145 valve is closed (or should be) all the time when in normal pressure range.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Ahh Okay, Thanks Bruce!
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And...to answer the "where?" question....It's beneath a brass cap nut, usually on the right side of the accy case cover. (There is a "late style" accy case cover on which it is on the left side, but most 170s will probably have it on the right.) See the TCM IPC.

The spring should not need any spacers or washers. It should be blue or have a painted blue identification spot on it. From another thread:
"**The relief spring should be compressed to 1.56 inches and it should measure 6.06 to 6.31 lbs of resistance if new, and 5.75 lbs minimum if used. A crude but effective way to perform such a test is to cut a bolt 1.56" long and insert it within the coils of the spring, then compress the sping against an accurate scale while observing the scale's readout. The scale's reading should be noted as the spring is compressed with the bolt not yet bottomed-out .
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Thank You Sir!!!
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Also, before doing any of the above, Tee into your oil pressure line or directly to engine with a known calibrated gauge to see what you really have for oil pressure. All gauges over time lose accuracy. An original gauge from a 1955 Cessna 170 is now 60 years old. Probability for error high