Electronic Performance Calculator

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Greg Bockelman

Electronic Performance Calculator

Post by Greg Bockelman »

Anybody have an electronic calculator that does performance calculations? Plug in the variables and get takeoff and landing distances, rates of climb, that sort of thing? I am not a programmer but I would think something like that wouldn't be too hard to put together.

For what its worth, I have an electronic W&B calculator that is pretty good, but the other calculations aren't so "easy" to program.
GAHorn

Re: Electronic Performance Calculator

Post by GAHorn »

Have you tried the iTunes store? They have 172 performance for the Ipad.... probably very close to 170 perf.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Are you flying a corporate jet of some knd? I can't imagine anyone needing, or wanting, an electronic performance calculator for an airplane as simple as a
C-170. I would hazard a guess that after you had been flying one for a while, you would find that the need for such a device was gone.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Are you flying a corporate jet of some knd? I can't imagine anyone needing, or wanting, an electronic performance calculator for an airplane as simple as a
C-170. I would hazard a guess that after you had been flying one for a while, you would find that the need for such a device was gone.
Agree completely! The AFM (and Owner's Manual) provide pretty accurate takeoff/field-performance/cruise data. READ THEM.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Greg Bockelman

Post by Greg Bockelman »

gahorn wrote:
blueldr wrote:Are you flying a corporate jet of some knd? I can't imagine anyone needing, or wanting, an electronic performance calculator for an airplane as simple as a
Agree completely! The AFM (and Owner's Manual) provide pretty accurate takeoff/field-performance/cruise data. READ THEM.
Geez, George. Have you actually used them? There is so much extrapolation and slop in them. An app you plug in the numbers and out spits accurate info. At least more accurate than eyeballing it. That data is not exactly user friendly.

Hence my search for something a bit more easily used.
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Greg Bockelman wrote:An app you plug in the numbers and out spits accurate info. At least more accurate than eyeballing it. That data is not exactly user friendly.
I agree completely. A lot easier for me to punch it in then pull out the AFM and read between the lines.
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

blueldr wrote:I would hazard a guess that after you had been flying one for a while, you would find that the need for such a device was gone.
And what if you haven't been flying one for a while? Remember, nobody was born with 1000 hours of 170 time.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Greg Bockelman wrote:
gahorn wrote:
Geez, George. Have you actually used them? There is so much extrapolation and slop in them. An app you plug in the numbers and out spits accurate info. At least more accurate than eyeballing it. That data is not exactly user friendly.

Hence my search for something a bit more easily used.
The app's are like measuring with micrometers.... something that you'll mark with a grease-pencil... and cut with a hatchet!

What good is your app...when your wt/bal/CG isn't properly calculated? And where did you set that pitch-trim index..???
Don't forget to check that analog, speedo-cable-driven tachometer which has never been calibrated...
...OH! you have a digital tach? Well THAT makes all the difference, heh? :roll:

I find the tables in the OM/AFM completely adequate and as accurate as the rest of the machine. IMO
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That's interesting flight planning... and it's very much the same sort of stuff available free from most flight planning services like fltplan dot com, etc etc. and therefore I don't see the need for an "app" for that.

It is NOT performance data.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

After all, the C-170 is a pretty old airplane and I dont believe it was ever a seriously precise flying machine. I would be willing to bet that one would find significant differences in performance between individual airplanes. Five per cent fast on final is no big deal in a C-170, but it sure would be on a high performance jet.
And just how accurate is the instrumentation in your C-170?
BL