Why I fly

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N4027v

Why I fly

Post by N4027v »

I bought my 170 three years ago with zero time in my log book and a dream of flying. Yes, I put the cart before the horse! I quickly found that my dream would turn into a long and complex endeavor. My first flight with my 79 year old instructor was not a fun or fond memory. I became very air sick and, in an inexperienced attempt, vomited out the window. Well, so I thought, back in my face and all over the interior of my "new" plane. My instructor was a good sport and we continued to work in short sessions on calm days. I can't count the times I said "I quit" after an air sick flight only to try again and again. I didn't solo until 19 hours. My instructor, mentor, friend, and a wonderful man, was killed last year Ina tragic farm accident. Again, I almost quit! Now with 42 total hours and not a successful cross country (without sick), I still fly solo local; but not often. Saturday, after a couple months without flight, the weather was so calm I decided to take the 170 out for a trip around the pattern and it felt so good I headed up to Grenada lake just north of my home airport in winona MS. The attached photo is the result. It is the rare flight like that and the beautiful sights only experienced in flight that keep me striving for my private pilot licence and the confidence that I will beat the air sickness!
Attachments
Grenada lake, MS
Grenada lake, MS
DaveF

Re: Why I fly

Post by DaveF »

Great story. We each have challenges that keep us from flying; Time, money, family, physical. Congratulations on overcoming yours!
JHKeeton171

Post by JHKeeton171 »

I spent my formative years at the airport in Grenada as my Dad was airport manager, chief flight instructor, chief charter pilot, head lineman and primary hangar sweeper in the late 40's and early 50's. As a toddler I apprenticed in all those disciplines as well as learning to drive (Crosley) on the ramp, taxiways, runways and old roads of the closed Army Air Base. Unofficially soloed a J-3 off the ramp before I even bothered to have a log book. Statue of Limitations should have run out on that by now. I remember well the construction of the dam that would form Grenada Lake from the Yalobusha and Skuna Rivers. Would later spend many hours there as a teenager fishing,water skiing, and watching the submarine races. Thanks for posting the picture as it brings back many pleasant memories. Sorry you're having air sickness issues. Have you tried a ReliefBand. I have had success with more than a few students (primary thru acro) who had air sickness issues and found comfort and relief using one of them. Just Google "ReliefBand" and you'll get all the info.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I'll second the relief bands. Flew with Dad from still in the womb to present day, but went through a period in my early teens when I suffered from airsickness. We tried the bands, and whether it was all in my head or voodoo magic, they worked! After a year or two I seemed to have gotten over it and used them less and less until they got lost in the glovebox for good.

Another potential remedy is ginger. Ginger ale or ginger pops have been known to help motion sickness. They are also regularly prescribed to pregnant women, so if you can't find ginger pops google pregnancy pops and give the mailman something to gossip about. :)

Finally, in a past life I was a professional rally car driver, and the nature of the sport often led codrivers to motion sickness. A lot of them used a scopalomine patch, but double check with an AME before trying it to make sure it's ok with the FAA. Also, they can take a bit of getting used to. Another one we used was Children's Benedryl. The Benedryl opened the airways allowing more oxygen in, which seemed to help the motion sickness. The children's version had no alcohol. Again, run this by an AME first.

I tried puking out the open door of a J3. Not a good result. It happens. You'll get over it.

DEM
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Aw man! We gotta get you over that motion sickness. Come over to the Delta sometime and we can fly the River or look at some fields. Come down to Greenwood at the end of the month for the airshow. Frank Kimmel is supposed have the Corsair flying in this one.
ISAIAH 40:31
imncntrl

Post by imncntrl »

I used to get sick every time up. I started training and stopped many times over the span of 11 years. Still got sick. Last year for a different issue, the wife talked me into getting glasses. I always said I didn't need them because I have 20-25 vision in one eye and 20-20 in the other. The motion sickness went away immediately.
Jared N5786C
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Old military trick for student pilots: Eat angel food cake before flying. It acts like a sponge.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I'm no fan of Chuck Yeager, but he had airsickness issues when he started flying, so you're in pretty good company.

Everyone I've ever talked to who have used the bands say they WORK.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Jared, just curious, does your glasses have prisms? I found that my eyes didn't focus at distance and needed prisms. Sometimes we don't understand physical problems but if the DR's dig deep enough, problems can be found.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
KG

Post by KG »

The wrist bands helped me a lot with sea sickness. I'm not bothered much in the air unless it is hot and bumpy at the same time.... but put me on a boat and I get sick almost immediately. With the wrist bands I still didn't feel great but it was certainly better.
53 170B
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Eat bananas before you go fly. They taste the same coming up as when going down... :lol:
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
imncntrl

Post by imncntrl »

n3833v wrote:Jared, just curious, does your glasses have prisms? I found that my eyes didn't focus at distance and needed prisms. Sometimes we don't understand physical problems but if the DR's dig deep enough, problems can be found.

John
No prisms. The ladies at our health fairs from the Lyons told me for years, tell your eye dr that you want glasses if he/she says your eyes are close enough to 20-20 that you don't need them yet. I should have listened to the Lyons.
Jared
Jared N5786C
170C

Post by 170C »

If I remember correctly ( :?: ) Bob Hoover had issues with air sickness as well as any number of other well known pilots. Each kept at it until they overcame the problem and had/have successful flying careers. Hang in there and you will beat it. See your 170 assn dues are a lot less expensive than going to the doctors and look at all the good suggestions you received :D Be sure to let us know how your flying continues. Best of Success!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018