C170 graphics

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: C170 graphics

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Use a few cups of J-4, Jet A, kerosene, coal oil, or WD-40 (my personal choice) in a 5 gal bucket. Add water forcefully to make a milky solution.
This is the exact solution Dad and I used to wash our house windows twice a year as I grew up. A semi annual ritual in the spring taking down the storm windows and again in the fall putting them back up. Dad poured the secret cleaner straight from the kero lamp hanging in the kitchen porch for emergencies. We even used a brush on a long handle popular for aircraft washing.

I might have to break from my stringent routine of using only a natural rinse every few days to a semi annual rinse from a bucket full of secret sauce like Dad and I did for so many years. Thanks for the memories George.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

My secret plan is to take her to OSH, and in the dark of night early in the week, sneak her into the Nuvite tent where they do the polishing demo's during the day. a few nights later, I'll sneak her back out and no one will be the wiser!
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
170C

Post by 170C »

Now Bruce, that sounds like a plan :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
Use a few cups of J-4, Jet A, kerosene, coal oil, or WD-40 (my personal choice) in a 5 gal bucket. Add water forcefully to make a milky solution.
This is the exact solution Dad and I used to wash our house windows twice a year as I grew up. A semi annual ritual in the spring taking down the storm windows and again in the fall putting them back up. Dad poured the secret cleaner straight from the kero lamp hanging in the kitchen porch for emergencies. We even used a brush on a long handle popular for aircraft washing.

I might have to break from my stringent routine of using only a natural rinse every few days to a semi annual rinse from a bucket full of secret sauce like Dad and I did for so many years. Thanks for the memories George.
Your Dad and my Dad must have read the same booklet..."Hints from Heloise".
Heloise was the pen-name of a 1950's-era housekeeping author, who suggested washing the family car, windows, and other hard surfaces with kerosene and water to obtain a high-polish finished result which was spot-free. My Dad (and his best helper...myself, of course) used it to wash our 1957 Chrysler Windsor.
images8SLZLG7U.jpg
images8SLZLG7U.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
And here's one in the same color scheme Dad bought used:
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
(Remember those high-tech push-button radios?)
(and their pre-tuned CIVIL DEFENSE freq's already placarded?)
(and their pre-tuned CIVIL DEFENSE freq's already placarded?)
imagesGPRMEILA.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 8578 times

I only recalled that washing-method after I purchased N146YS in 1999 and wondered how I was going to keep it presentable because I'd sworn I'd never own a polished airplane ... (and I don't.) :lol:

WD-40 smells better and displaces water/fights corrosion better, IMO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I just saw this warning about WD40. It is just a warning.I am not sure of the chemical makeup.
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... /pe_frugal

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n3833v wrote:I just saw this warning about WD40. It is just a warning.I am not sure of the chemical makeup.
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... /pe_frugal

John
The significant comment at that link is made by Dave Hirschman: "Ubiquitous lubricant WD40 also should be avoided because it can leave a varnish when it dries that attracts dirt and moisture, which actually can cause corrosion. Better to use a specialized aviation product such as LPS, even though it costs more."

He is correct...accumulated dirt and moisture can cause corrosion. But WD40 used as I suggest does not leave "varnish" at all.

In my own experience of using WD40 for washing purposes (over ten years) I have not seen anything like Mr. Hirschman states.
I do not leave WD40 intact...I mix it with water... and I rinse again with the water hose and dry with towels. No liquid WD40 remains on the airplane and no dust/dirt accumulates at all.

According to LPS " LPS 1® Greaseless Lubricant The greaseless lubricant that penetrates quickly, displaces moisture, and will not attract dust or dirt."

According to WD40: "WD-40® protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything. WD-40® protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements."

I use LPS-1 to lubricate hinges such as flight controls, etc. I've never tried it as a cleaning agent. I have used WD40 to clean off tar, grease, and sap from the car. (The WD40 people also advertise their product to "make squirrels slide off feeder poles".... but I'll bet that doesn't apply in Califorina.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)