Hypoxia training (PROTE)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Hypoxia training (PROTE)

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I had the chance this weekend to go through the hypoxia demo that the FAA conducted at the Great MN Aviation Gathering. It was educational and a bit scary! If you get the chance to do this - do so!

The Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Enclosure reduces the oxygen percentage without reducing atmospheric pressure.

I only made it a little over three minutes. My Ox level was at 63%. I felt dizzy, nasuea and numb. I was asked to do some simple math problems and couldn't. There were things I was asked or that happened in the chamber that I could not remember. It seemed to me that I was in there for just a few seconds versus the several minutes. Pretty scary.

I know it wasn't much as far as hypoxia training goes, but it was good to know the onset. And probably the most important lesson was to not take it lightly!

Here's a video that shows the chamber in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8IeLt1gPU
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
DaveF

Re: Hypoxia training (PROTE)

Post by DaveF »

What was the equivalent altitude of the chamber?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I am happy to go on record in opposition to anyone participating in any reduced oxygen demonstrator. I cannot imagine why my company, the FAA, or any other training provider considers reducing available oxygen to be a safe thing to demonstrate. I consider it dangerous.

The percentage of oxygen available is not affected by altitude.... The partial-pressure of atmosphere changes...but not the relative amount of oxygen available. If you wish to experience the real thing then locate an altitude chamber such as at many Air Force facilities, NASA, and some hospitals.
IMHO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I have received both types of hypoxia training during my military career. My symptoms in the altitude chambers were always the same and predictable. My symptoms with the reduced oxygen system that the Navy was using during my exchange tour were different than my real-world and chamber symptoms. I have much more faith in chamber training and recommend it for everyone.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

counsellj wrote:I have received both types of hypoxia training during my military career. My symptoms in the altitude chambers were always the same and predictable. My symptoms with the reduced oxygen system that the Navy was using during my exchange tour were different than my real-world and chamber symptoms. I have much more faith in chamber training and recommend it for everyone.
Agree. I've done this twice at the old Castle Air Force base and would highly recommend it.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Dave, we were told that we were in the mid teens.

I'd love to go to the OKC and spend a few days going through their altitude chamber but it's not that 'high' on my list. :lol:

Is it/was it safe? Heck - lots of what we do isn't totally safe. Seemed to me that the Feds had good support staff with med training on hand, that they were quick to get you on O2, and I watched several sessions before going. (Guess if I were to die Becky might be glad it was the FAA she was suing versus one of my close friends!).

Again - my take away is don't mess with this and if you do much alt flying get a pulse ox monitor.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005