2015 Convention Route / Stop recommendations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

2015 Convention Route / Stop recommendations

Post by c170b53 »

O.K if there's already a thread somewhere on this topic; could a mod move it there please; otherwise..I got my medical, plane has been checked out, hotel has been booked and the credit card cleaned as much as possible so now the route planning begins. Up to Branson I'm o.k. after that need advice as to where to go and stay and what to avoid from those more seasoned ..err smarter than me.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Re: 2015 Convention Route / Stop recommendations

Post by GAHorn »

Branson ...??? Where is that?

From the mid-continent area you might think about Creve Cour again if you need an overnight, just avoid that soy bean field!

Mena is a good stop, and you can drop in on Del. Just beware of the Rich Mountain VOR area...not an area to scud-run...so if the wx is good, that'd be a choice, IMO. Not far from there NE of Mena is Mountain Home, ARkansas (NOT Missouri) for B&B, cheap gas, and free courtesy car if you call ahead. That little town is full of musicians and every night on the little town square/gazebos are ad hoc sing alongs and hoe downs. Sweet little visit to a by-gone era, mindful of the movie "Music Man" kind of town.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Re: 2015 Convention Route / Stop recommendations

Post by c170b53 »

That was the first convention, I attended in the U.S....was pretty goood!
Thanks for the music man tip George, might have a hard time tearing Mary Anne away from a place like that.
One of the challenges I thought I might face was weather similar to the weather we had on the St Louis air tour. I liked the idea of the tour but with the visibility.,I didn't dare take my eye off the plane in front of me and saw very little of anything.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS