One Fuel Stop or Two?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Onewinglo

One Fuel Stop or Two?

Post by Onewinglo »

Guys,
I’m planning my first real cross country from Hammond, LA (KHDC) to Newberry, SC (KEOE) and I’m debating on one fuel stop or two. My gut tells me due to my inexperience and uncertain fuel burn rate I should make two stops. (I have about 130 hours total and about 32 in my 170A). Currently I’m looking at Monroe County (KMVC) as my first stop and Thomaston-Upson County (KOPN) as my second. If anyone has any recommendations for good airport stops along my route I’m open to suggestions. This trip is planned for the end of the month weather permitting.
Thanks,
JP White
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bat443

Re: One Fuel Stop or Two?

Post by bat443 »

Hi, This is more of a general suggestion than a specific recommendation. Both Monroe County and Thomaston-Upson County airports are single runway airports (I looked them up on airnav). Call me conservative but I would look for airports with intersecting runways or near by alternate airports with runways aligned differently than my planned stop. That way I would not feel that I had to land with a crosswind greater than my comfort level. This is not to imply that I think that you don't have the skills to handle this trip, but that personally I don't like the extra pressure of limited options. Have fun.

Tim
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

You didn't need to even ask the question. Your Gut already answered it. With experience you will re-calibrate your gut. There is nothing worse than the feeling of being uncertain about being low on fuel, or worse yet, being low on fuel.
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm planning on two stops. Also planning on airports with intersecting runways as Tim suggested. Looking forward to this trip - should be an adventure.
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Hey 2 fuel stops would be the go . Never forget about your bladder as it will not forget you . Plus good experience at landing at different airports also , plus you never know who you will meet up with . It reminds me of a trip did that I was doing (I thought) by myself when a friend ask me to take a female friend back to the capitial city where I was heading . It was a 4 hour slog with heaps of clear air disturbance . So it was a climb up to 10,500 ft to try and beat the turbulence . After levelling out at the required level , the next statement I got was " I got to pee" . OMG .
" lady it will take us at least 20 mins to get on the ground and we still have to find a airport from here . I will not go into details of what happen next but she did it in a plastic bag . In the front seat of a 170 .
DWood

Post by DWood »

[quoteThomaston-Upson County (KOPN)][/quote]

KPIM Pine Mountain, GA is also a good stop with "low price" on 100LL
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I have a story very similar to Ghostflyer's but it was a trip to the beach, beer and a pickle jar.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

If you want a cool small grass runway airport, that is slightly out of your way but not too bad, check out GA2, Peach State airport, it has fuel SS, a museum and a great restaurant
Airport is North of your line of flight , it is one the better places to eat. Lots of tail draggers one weekends

http://www.peachstateaero.com/

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ga2
IF go there plan on landing on RWY13( Right traffic,) which is uphill and depart 31 if the winds allow it, 13 has an uphill slope if you are loaded and hot day watch the density altitude factor
KG

Post by KG »

All good suggestions....

My airplane is hangared at KOPN Thomaston... it's a good stop... nice FBO, nice people, courtesy car, and even though a single runway, it's big and has good clear approaches. Unfortunately I haven't been there much lately.

I usually recommend Peachstate Aerodrome to everybody too.. but it is a fairly narrow runway with a steep slope. Unless you are quite comfortable with that I would recommend caution.

Keep us posted on your travel dates... maybe I'll be around...

Keith
53 170B
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

You'll suck up the seat cushion pushing gas one day, and never do it again. Better off skipping that grief.

-Scott
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I would ask myself if I was in a hurry to get there (all in one day) or not (an overnight ...preferably at an interesting place) .

If I was in a hurry to get to the destination and wx was good...I'd do it in one stop about half way. According to AirNav, good choices would be Wetumpka AL (O8A) and Prattville AL (1A9) ...both within short distances of several other airports should you need another runway choice, etc..
If I wasn't in a hurry.... I'd choose an overnight at Warm Springs, GA (5A9) (and $3.89 fuel) ... the famous place where President FDR visited so often...and see the museum, etc.. Also very near several other choice airports.

Even with only one stop in each scenario above, the longest leg would be Warm Springs, ...3:15 hours/326 miles (27 gals with over an hour reserve), ...and the first two only slightly more than 2.5 hrs/250 miles...*20 gals with 1.5 hrs reserve). None of which are much challenge in good wx, and the first two of which have good approaches.

Just my own thinking... (I hate making unnecessary landings/cycles/takeoffs/climbs... they waste an hour each.... they add risk... they add wear/tear on the plane... But I also don't like to fly much more than 3 hrs for comfort, and that's what I like to plan for.
I always like to land with an hour's reserve so that forces a maximum of 3.5 hrs each leg.)

Here's what Wetumpka or Prattville might look like:
gcmap (3).gif
gcmap (3).gif (5.07 KiB) Viewed 15346 times

HDC $4.29 HAMMOND, LA
HAMMOND NORTHSHORE RGNL AIRPORT
Distance/Course to 08A WETUIMPKA 241.2 nm 059 true 059 magnetic
2.5 hours

08A $4.3 WETUMPKA, AL
WETUMPKA MUNI AIRPORT
Distance/Course to 067 EOE NEWBERRY CO . 258.0 nm 064 true 067 magnetic
2.6 hours
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like one fuel stop would certainly be feasible – but I have plenty of time so I will plan on two stops on the way up. Maybe one stop on the way back if the winds are favorable.
Would Flight Following be an option without mode C? I’m trying to get to the avionics shop to get a new encoder, but I had to cancel last Friday due to bad weather. This Friday’s weather prediction is worse! :(
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!