OK..I admit it... I guess I should paint the stripe GREEN.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

OK..I admit it... I guess I should paint the stripe GREEN.

Post by GAHorn »

I was thinking it needed a RED stripe to go with my airplane...but it's been pointed out (by someone who just got dropped from my Xmas card list) that the relative SPEED delegates a GREEN stripe for it! :twisted:
22' Airstream Safari Sport
22' Airstream Safari Sport
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LBPilot82

Re: OK..I admit it... I guess I should paint the stripe GREE

Post by LBPilot82 »

Oh no... George has officially gone off the deep end...
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Nah... we're just "keepin' up with the Wyborny's!" (and losing!) :lol:

Here's what Sheila did to their 20' Airstream FC Interior:
Sheila's Interior.jpg
Sheila's Interior 2.jpg
Now Jamie is shopping around at Bed, Bath, and Beyond! :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Very nice. I love the airstreams but they can get expensive. You can't get much closer to aircraft construction. Here's a few pics of my all-winter-long ground up restoration project. I think she's finally done. Can't wait to get out and use it this year!
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG (47.52 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG (40.56 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG (40.12 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Whats the matter George you need more to polish? Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Very Nice, Richard! And you're in good country for it!
3958v wrote:Whats the matter George you need more to polish? Bill K
:? :? :?
Yeah... the thing is, I'm married to the girl who spends 6 mos thinking about it before she'll buy new shoes!
On the other hand, I'm the impulsive one... so you can imagine how this happened....
I was hoping to get her "feet wet" by getting her into a small camper or travel-trailer, and after much conversation she finally agreed to go look at an older "project Airstream" in nearby Fredricksburg...
So when the arrangements were made a couple Saturdays ago, we met the owner and looked it over. It had sat in a barn for many years before the present owner found it and got it moving again. It was cute...but had lived thru a few knocks and bumps, had creaky plumbing and lot's of electrical tape, and needed more attention despite the clean-up, 1960's appliances and recent tires. Jamie sat in it and looked around.... was acting mildly interested.... and then we bid the owner/seller goodbye to "give us some time to think about it".... and to my surprise, Jamie became quite conversational about how this and that and the "décor would need work..." and how the appliances were "dated"...
Hhmmmmmnnn..... I thought...she actually seems to be considering this idea..(.of buying a camper...)

Sooo, we drove on down to San Antonio where we looked at a used Heartland MPG... a cute little "teardrop" trailer which had been sitting on a consignment lot. It was an orphan the owner had left there last year and the consignment guy opened it up, and it had a new-smell to it since it'd been sitting a long time...in the recent rain...and I noticed the rear sofa/bed was soaked and the rear wall-covering was coming loose where the rear window had leaked.
I quickly whispered to Jamie that I thought that could be fixed and might be a good arguing point if she like it. She acted pleasantly interested in front of the consignment-guy... saying nice things about the size of the shower and the newer appliances of the unit.
But when we drove away to "think about it", she told me that she was concerned about the formaldehyde (new) smell and didn't think the little thing was as well-constructed as the previous "project" we'd seen.
Hhmmmmnn...

After lunch we needed to head home and she mentioned the advertisement we'd seen about another Airstream. It was also in Fredricksburg (on the way home...sort-of) and she said something to the effect that "perhaps we should look at it too while we're out".
Wow, I thought.... she actually seems interested. Maybe by next year I could talk her into this idea. I agreed to call the seller and drop by to look at it, knowing it was over twice what we'd ever spend on something like that...but it'd be fun to look at it.

We got there, he and his wife opened it up and showed it's features, it's clean construction, it's nice large bathroom (for an RV) and it's like-new appearance and new appliances, and when the conversation dragged and it was clearly time to go (and getting dark) I closed the conversation by offering him a ridiculously low price, knowing it'd be over and done with. He said "No", of course and I stood up to leave when he surprised me by responding with an offer only a double-digit ADU's (Airplane Dollar Units.... sometimes referred to as a "G"...) more than I'd mentioned.
Whew! I wasn't really trying to negotiate a deal...( In my own head I knew we were only looking!...)

Knowing that this was only a polite viewing, and that take-all-the-time-in-the-world-with-decisions Jamie was certainly not going to do anything so frivolous in less than a year's worth of begg.. er... uh.. NEGOTIATING with me... I told him that it was waay over our budget and that we shouldn't waste anymore of his time...Thank you, sir...I guess that unless Jamie has anything else to say or ask...we'd be on our way home....
...the other wife looked at Jamie...they had that girl-to-girl-esp-thing... Jamie looked at me... Jamie looked at the guy... Jamie said, "Well... OK! We'll Take It!" 8O

I hadn't thought about who's going to polish it until you just mentioned it, Bill!
If you and Richard would come to convention...I'll bring some beer and rags! :twisted:

(I LOVE this woman!) :P
4583C

Post by 4583C »

This story sounds vaguely similar to my experience :lol: What is it you always tell us about buying airplanes, George? Sounds like Jamie had done her research.
170C

Post by 170C »

George, I see green pillows along with red & green curtains. Should be a good compromise :mrgreen:

Seriously, it looks nice! What length is it and what do you plan to tow it with?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Good on you George!

I've been looking/lusting at Airstreams but dang they hold their value! That's great if you own - bad if you're buying.

I'll keep looking - but if any of our 170 friends know of any buys on a newer +- 20 foot Airstream, well then......
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Yeah it would look something like this:
SSPX0011.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Good on you George!

I've been looking/lusting at Airstreams but dang they hold their value! That's great if you own - bad if you're buying.

I'll keep looking - but if any of our 170 friends know of any buys on a newer +- 20 foot Airstream, well then......
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ad- ... -for-sale/
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

George.
I have met Mrs Horn...... if she in ...... you should listen to her :)
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

2015-04-04_00-11-16_607 copy.jpg
Ahhhhh. That's better. :twisted:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Bruce

Can you make it just a little darker green then add a 4 leaf clover lucky charm ........ :)
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks Karl for the airstream link.

Good post Johneeb!

If I take up Aryana's idea I better replace that one lunger that's in the Isetta! Right now it's got all it can do to get me up a hill! And while I'm at it I better put better shocks on it too!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005