New canuck

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jetblast

New canuck

Post by Jetblast »

Hi everybody! Not too sure about what to say here.
I recently joined because I came up to the realization that a C170 is the plane for me and my family.
Not getting younger and don't want to miss the chance to own and enjoy a plane with my kids.
Was looking at a C140 but the boss wants to come with the kids so in comes the C170.
Out of reach if I look for a creampuff.
Being from Canada, my timing is off by two years, now the exchange rate is against me.
Anybody wants to donate their bird? ;) Just kidding!

Any thoughts on how to get a deal now that would get me flying but that I could upgrade over the years?
Should I get a close to TBO engine that I could fly for 4-5 years before I take it in?
Should I get a bad paint job that I fly until the sun and rain take care of the paint removal before I get it painted?

Not hangars available where I am. Should I avoid a rag plane?

Should I keep dreaming until I can afford a really nice plane?

Open to ideas.

Thanks
daedaluscan

Re: New canuck

Post by daedaluscan »

Even with the CAD where it is now against the USD I don't think prices have ever been so low in real terms.

I feel that the best deals are available at the slightly higher prices. You really are buying mods at cents on the dollar.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019

Post by Sticky »

I went through this exercise two years ago and found that there are very few 170's for sale in Canada, and those you do find are going for a premium. I bought my '53 170B in the US when the dollar was still close to par and I figure I saved almost half the cost of the airframe with all the import costs factored in. But even now, with the exchange rate the way it is, I think you'll still find more selection at better prices in the US.

A word of caution with importing... Find a good Canadian AME/AMO who has done a few imports to help you choose your aircraft and will work with you through the import hoops. With the right aircraft it can be painless and relatively cheap to import a US aircraft. Pick the wrong aircraft or the wrong AME and it could take a long time to get certified and can get real expensive real quick. I don't know where you are in Canada but I used Coast Dog Aviation out of Pitt Meadows, BC (http://www.coastdogaviation.com).

My 170 wasn't a creampuff but it was a solid aircraft with all the features I was looking for. The flaws that it did have weren't going to cost a lot of cash to tidy up or to maintain its airworthiness.

Happy hunting!
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD
1953 Cessna 170B (#25597)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBHblJNFQE
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome JB
Canadian here, wondering "Where you to?" And "What your at"? If your from the East or West? There's a very good plane in the west for sale but it's going to sell for what's it is worth.
You could get a beater but experience there and here will confirm, why would you want to beat yourself up?
In the end the best you'll get is a plane you could have got in the beginning, without the pain.
Flying should be enjoyable and is in a 170.
Good first move by the way. Joining the club, will help you with many aspects of ownership.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Sticky wrote:I went through this exercise two years ago and found that there are very few 170's for sale in Canada, and those you do find are going for a premium. I bought my '53 170B in the US when the dollar was still close to par and I figure I saved almost half the cost of the airframe with all the import costs factored in. But even now, with the exchange rate the way it is, I think you'll still find more selection at better prices in the US.

A word of caution with importing... Find a good Canadian AME/AMO who has done a few imports to help you choose your aircraft and will work with you through the import hoops. With the right aircraft it can be painless and relatively cheap to import a US aircraft. Pick the wrong aircraft or the wrong AME and it could take a long time to get certified and can get real expensive real quick. I don't know where you are in Canada but I used Coast Dog Aviation out of Pitt Meadows, BC (http://www.coastdogaviation.com).

My 170 wasn't a creampuff but it was a solid aircraft with all the features I was looking for. The flaws that it did have weren't going to cost a lot of cash to tidy up or to maintain its airworthiness.

Happy hunting!

My experience also, I took Dale from CoastDog down to do a prebuy, and the whole process was smooth for me. The dollar was stronger then, but it is also about the number of planes on the market at any one time. Patience is not a virtue of mine - I wanted to go flying.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Jetblast

Post by Jetblast »

Thank you all for comments/advices.
Another factor that can increase the importation cost is the Transport Canada inspector.
Jim: i think you refer to Ross's plane. i talked to him but he already has an offer on it.
I'm out east in Ottawa.
Cheers!
JB
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

New 170B listing in Ontario on Barnstormers
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019