Side Doors on Hangars

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Side Doors on Hangars

Post by AR Dave »

I have a pet peeve - why - why, why, why, do builders put doors up, with the hinges on the outside of the building? C'mon! I've turned them around on several houses I've bought, now I'm getting around to the metal one on my Hangar. For ideas I looked at other hangars - LOL - most are the same way. Neighbor has a 6000 ft Hangars with double locks and security cameras - side door has hinges on outside. :?
bagarre

Re: Side Doors on Hangars

Post by bagarre »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Doesn't matter where the hinges are cus every standard lock is trivial to open.
bat443

Post by bat443 »

If the local building code considers it as a required emergency exit it has to swing out so that when leaving the building you push the door out and step out.

Tim
170C

Post by 170C »

Dave, like Aryana said, our locks are there only to keep honest folks out of our buildings. Anyone who is determined to do so can and will access the structure, even if they have a security system which will only notify a call center who will then contact local authorities. Most hangars can be fairly easily accessed by using an electric drill with a socket that fits the metal screws that attach the metal panels on our doors/walls. One thing you could do is spot weld the hinge pins to the hinge. That would most likely discourage a thief from trying to go through your door. Then he will either remove a metal panel or seek other means to access you hangar. Be sure you have your plane and your items in the hangar properly insured and hope you never have to use it.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bat443 wrote:If the local building code considers it as a required emergency exit it has to swing out so that when leaving the building you push the door out and step out.

Tim
This.

I used to install doors and door hardware for my father's company which specialized in that. I worked for him for about 8 years, and learned quite a bit during that time. Someone broke into some law offices that we did the hardware installation on and my dad sent me over to fix the mess. Some of the locksets were beat up so badly that the people couldn't get into the individual offices, so my main job the first day was to simply get the attorneys into their offices so that they could work. I learned quickly that day that locks are indeed superficial if someone smart enough wants in somewhere bad enough. That said, there are some door hinges on the market that conceal the hinge pin so that it can't be pulled or pushed out, but very few criminals will de-hinge a door to gain access. They'll break a window, pick locks, something. If your hangar is metal, a cordless drill with 3/8" socket will make quick work of the exterior walls and bypass the door altogether.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

The lock on my door doesn't keep honest people out - everyone knows my lock can be opened by sliding a simple screw driver or blade behind the tongue. LOL I didn't think about the building code, which I have no problem ignoring. Spot weld might be the easiest fix. I'm going to check outside some internal hinged doors.
bat443

Post by bat443 »

AR Dave, I wouldn't have a problem ignoring it also, just pointing out that at some point in time a local building inspector had to sign off on it and that may have been the reason they are built the way they are.

Tim
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yes I'm sure you are correct out about the building codes - I'm glad to know the answer. Now that the hangar is 12 yrs old, I think I could get away with switching the door out.
bat443

Post by bat443 »

I think you could have changed it when he drove away. He checked the box and probably didn't care after that.

Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Criminals don't care about damaging doors, locks, or metal panels (with either a nut-driver/screwdriver or tin-snips...or cutting torch!).

The reason we have locks is to require them to overcome them so they can be charged with illegal entry or "breaking and entering". (I used to keep my house unlocked and keys in the truck, car, boat, airplane, etc... until I realized that I cannot charge anyone with "breaking/entering" crime if I didn't bother to lock it.)
Now I'll have to replace the windows/doors they break in addition to whatever they steal. :?
(Security system and cameras will soon be in operation.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Like many, I have a security system for my home. Mostly to alert me if someone is coming in at night. Then it's up to me to use a weapon of choice! If someone breaks in the average home when no one is there and knows what they are after, they will be long gone by the time the monitoring service determines it is a potential breakin, contacts the authorities and they show up at your home.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Our airport does have a big fence, with a deep creek blocking easy access, two code gates coming from one road in, and 4 security cameras. I don't put much stock in that, but at least a thief would have to go to a little effort.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That's the idea of locks anyway...just to slow down the interested thief and make him think about it.
A locksmith friend pointed out to me that he could get into any gunsafe in the country if he has 15 minutes to work on it, but the intimidation factor to the average person sends them looking for easier prey.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
170C

Post by 170C »

Dave, is this the hangar you have been keeping your 170 in there in Russelville? The one I was in a time or two? If its that one it is a very nice and big one as I recall.

I think we all have some risk with our tools and other equipment that is in our hangar. Also our avionics. Most of us aren't too worried about someone stealing the plane itself, but if they want it that bad they will probably get it. Just be sure to have as much of your assets insured as you can or want to do so. Some of the things you will likely do will discourage a would be thief so that he may go on to another, easier to access, hangar.

Good luck!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Like many, I have a security system for my home. Mostly to alert me if someone is coming in at night. ....
Here's an inexpensive suggestion: Keep your car keys by your bedside. If you hear someone entering the house at night...hit the "panic" button on the key-fob, to sound the car-horn-continuously! It may alert the neighbors and certainly will distract an intruder, hopefully long enough to get a bead on him.