This is why I own my 170!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: This is why I own my 170!

Post by GAHorn »

I LOVE that little pointing-finger guy!

WELCOME! So GLAD you'll be at convention so we can MEET you and your family!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Great pictures, it is so nice to see young family's involved in aviation particularly TIC170A. All the bragging that goes on around here about their interiors not a one of them has a cup holder in the back seat, too cool. :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome! Its great to see new members and how much they enjoy their 170s. We'll look forward to meeting you and your family at Gulf Shores. Especially good to see the young kids being brought up in the aviation community.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Great pictures and welcome to the association. These are such great airplanes to haul around a family of 4.

I like the headset/helmet combination on the little one. That would take a big burden off my copilot having to constantly reach back and adjust headsets.

Thanks for posting! Mike
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for sharing your photo's and welcome to the 170 Assn. Nice 170! Triple Tee is on my bucket list and its always good to hear about it, and other places, our members have been so we can get first hand info.

We will be looking forward to meeting you and your family in Gulf Shores.

Frank
Murfreesboro, TN
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

I have a friend that has a open cockpit biplane and we got the idea from him. We ordered the helmet through aircraft spruce and thought it was going to solve our hearing protection issues. It worked really well because we could tighten it down and he could not pull it off. Well he finally learned how to loosen the strap so now we just put the headset on him without the helmet. Turns out he does not mind the headset anymore for the most part. Thanks for starting this post and looks like you have a great family too. Glad to see we are not the only ones that throw the kids in the back and hit the open skies. Fly safe.
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Very cool pdogace! Good pics from a great day!

Triple Tree is on my list - heard its great.

My wife (also a pilot) and I have a near kin of yours - 1932c.

Welcome to the Assn.!!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Pdogace wrote: We took our two boys, a three week old newbie on his first cross country and a 2 year old seasoned traveler. We are based just northwest of Atlanta.
What do you use for hearing protection for your kids? I bought my 2 year old daughter a pair of youth headsets at EAA this year, and they work great. She loves them, at least for the 10 minutes she stays awake. :) (BTW, this has the fun side of effect of inspiring me to make REALLY smooth landings....lest I wake her up!) Unfortunately these seem too big for my 5 month old son. I've found a few options for baby hearing protection on Amazon, but would appreciate a pirep.

I spent a zillion hours riding around in planes with my Dad as a kid, usually with zero or at best substandard hearing protection. It was worth every minute, but my hearing was definitely a casualty. It's not Dad's fault, we didn't know any better. But now we do, and I'm not gonna do that to my kids.

Thanks,
DEM
Pdogace

Post by Pdogace »

We originally went to Walmart when my first son was born and bought a pair of ear muffs that where designed for shooting. We would put them on him at the house and let him get used to wearing them from time to time. Once he got a little older around the 5 6 month mark we researched the child headsets and being the cheap guy that I am decided against them. I had a dc with the ANR kit so we decided to go and order the helmet for $75 I think it was. That worked great!! He can hear us talk and listen to music. He used the helmet all the way up until 3 months ago and now we just use the dc with no helmet. My son has a really big head so they fit just fine. If you look close in the pic of my younger one you can see the plane ear muffs. Hope that helps.

And yes Triple Tree is definitely worth the trip. They have a web site just google triple tree aerodrome and it pops up. There is a fabric and tailwheel fly-in in june, a breakfast fly-in in July, and their big fly-in in sep. For us it's just over an hour flight but worth a 2 or 3 hour flight all day long.

Thanks again for all the comments.
Preston
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Welcome! Great pictures of flying with the family.

I'm impressed you were able to get your kids to wear headsets. Mine wouldn't do it at first.
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Very nice! I also flew my family out to the coast last weekend. We spent 2 days down in Oceano visiting family. It was a great flight down and back.I would post some pics but I never have any luck with that on this site.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

robw56 wrote: ...........I would post some pics but I never have any luck with that on this site.
It's easy but a little tedious to resize the pictures. They are probably too large. Try to email the pictures to yourself. If your email gives you a choice on sizing, use a medium size not full size. Then save the emailed pictures back to your "Pictures" file on your computer. Then try to upload those pictures. Sounds worse than it is.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Richard, you must be a TIC170A member to post pictures of any size, robw56 is not which would be the first thing for him to overcome trying posting pictures.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Yep, that would be a good reason.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Here is a video of our flight on the same day over the Golden Gate to Half moon Bay.
I think I spent 8+ hrs learning the go pro software getting this edited but I'm excited about the result!
The landing is our favorite part. Half Moon Bay is a great place to fly into you can taxi back to a special tie down area that is a 100 yard walk to a bunch of restaurants on the bay.
When you see me rocking the wings I'm watching the other planes around us, It was a busy flying day we had a bunch of other planes around the GG and Sf also sightseeing and everyone is restricted to about the same altitude. Also there were strong offshore winds and that is why we went a little farther off shore below Pacifica (to reduce the turbulence) but you can still see some shaking in the film.
Cheers
Douglas
[youtube]http://youtu.be/j-rQQ2ClGng[/youtube]