This is why I own my 170!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Pdogace

Re: This is why I own my 170!

Post by Pdogace »

Awesome video!! It's rainy and foggy here at the house today so it's nice to get away for a few minutes and get excited about the next beautiful day to go flying.

Preston
Preston
1954 C170B "Sweet Caroline"
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:Can you imagine a convention where the entire south transient is overrun with 170's? :D My only fear would be the summertime weather on the coast side which is so often socked in. I've only seen one convention in San Diego but my dream is to one day have one at KHAF.
I believe this constitutes a bid for 2017...
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:I'm not eligible as I've only been on the ramp of a convention and not actually attended (which is required to host)...someday though!!! Hopefully after you have your 170 and have to fly it all the way across the country to attend :D
She's a California girl at heart- she spent her first five years in SoCal. I'd love to fly out to the Bay Area for a convention, and I believe "being on the ramp" constitutes attendance. At least it does in my book. :lol:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aryana wrote:I'm not eligible as I've only been on the ramp of a convention and not actually attended (which is required to host)...
There is a little known exception to this rule. If you've stood on the ramp near a convention and If you've built a 27% scale 170 to near completion, you can host a convention. At least I'm pretty sure that's the exact verbiage :roll: .
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Aryana, I guess I better sharpen up my cross country skills. California is a pretty long trip from TN, but as they say, its just a group of smaller trips. Go for it!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Arash,

Is "Dan's Place", an Italian Resrrauant, still in business in Moss Beach, about a half mile north of the Half moon Bay Airport. When I was a kid about ten or twelve, living in Burlingame, I used to go there pretty regularly with my dad. I loved the food there and Dan Bartoladi was my dads bootlegger. Dad always claimed that Dan made the best whiskey he ever drank. I bacame good friends with Dans kids, Barney and Lena and remember grinding out Peach Ice cream on the back steps to the restaursnt.
I also helped build the airport in '42. I had enlisted in the Army Air Force and while I was waiting to get called up I was driving a dump truck from a quarry in El Granada to fill the swamp for the airport. We used to quit for lunch on that job to eat at Dans Place.
Count me in for your convention there.
BL
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

This is for you guys and gals not on Facebook. Compared to this 170 in Nova Scotia I haven't seen anything worth complaining about:
image.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Thanks, Arash. I'll be looking forward to hearing about it.
BL
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Miles the photo made me think of my father in law who lives in the middle of the valley in NS and sadly there're not many airports in that part of the country, wish there were more. The Reg suggests the 170B flies out of Moncton NB and although it doesn't matter what part of the Maritimes that photo was taken, the entire area has been " getting " it.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cessna170bdriver

c170b53 wrote:Miles the photo made me think of my father in law who lives in the middle of the valley in NS and sadly there're not many airports in that part of the country, wish there were more. The Reg suggests the 170B flies out of Moncton NB and although it doesn't matter what part of the Maritimes that photo was taken, the entire area has been " getting " it.
You're right Jim, I misread the guy's profile. He went to college in Nova Scotia. He lives in Fredericton, NB. Either way, that's one heck of a pile of snow! I think I'll put that photo on my desktop to get me used to the idea before we head to Michigan...
Miles

— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

Miles, you better get yourself some long johns and a good insulated hangar for 98C before the first winter in Michigan :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Post by 170C »

Miles, you better get yourself some long johns and a good insulated hangar for 98C before the first winter in Michigan :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
c170b53 wrote:Miles the photo made me think of my father in law who lives in the middle of the valley in NS and sadly there're not many airports in that part of the country, wish there were more. The Reg suggests the 170B flies out of Moncton NB and although it doesn't matter what part of the Maritimes that photo was taken, the entire area has been " getting " it.
You're right Jim, I misread the guy's profile. He went to college in Nova Scotia. He lives in Fredericton, NB. Either way, that's one heck of a pile of snow! I think I'll put that photo on my desktop to get me used to the idea before we head to Michigan...
Have I missed something obvious? Are the Bowens Michigan bound? I saw on Facebook where you said something about selling your house, but I didn't realize that was associated with a cross-country move! When do you leave CA?
cessna170bdriver

Ryan Smith wrote:
Have I missed something obvious? Are the Bowens Michigan bound? I saw on Facebook where you said something about selling your house, but I didn't realize that was associated with a cross-country move! When do you leave CA?
That hint was earlier in this thread. :wink:

I submitted notice of intent to retire to my bosses last Friday, to be effective June 26. We've been thinking about it for several years, and planning the trigger pull since last fall. '98C will not be returning to California any time soon. :)
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:
That hint was earlier in this thread. :wink:
Clearly I'm good at internet. :oops: