Snow Load Hangers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Snow Load Hangers

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Hope for strong roof rafters in NE USA today.

Is it the fourth snow storm in a month?

Hate to lose any airplanes and especially our beloved. Cessna 170'
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
N2625U

Re: Snow Load Hangers

Post by N2625U »

I'm in Dover, New Hampshire. A couple of weeks ago we only had patches of snow on the ground. A neighbor was saying that it doesn't feel like winter around here. A few days later the first storm came in dropping over 30 inches. Just finished shoveling out from yesterdays storm and I think our official total of snow over the last couple of weeks is about 63 inches. Bet he wishes he'd kept his mouth shut... Oh, the hangars at the airport are doing well. Snow is blowing in the cracks but with gusts to 40MPH and a light powdery snow it is blowing off the roofs. I did see that someone got a snowblower on the flat roof of a pizza place today.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Airplanes parked/tied-down outside are really abused in this sort of weather. The weight is horribly bad on them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I seem to recall a big storm a few years back where they pushed all the airplanes inside hangers before the storm, only to have the weight of the heavy snow collapse the roofs onto the planes. The kicker was they did the calcs most of the planes could have taken the snow load had they left them outside. :(

DEM