Engine oil additives avblend

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Re: Engine oil additives avblend

Post by wingnut »

George wrote: "...........(and that is one reason which additives that claim to "clean" your engine is actually harmful..it removes that protective film from non moving parts and then adds potential harm by circulating it thru the engine......."

Another short story :wink: I bought a 78 Chevy truck that only had 70k miles. It had only been driven to church, literally. Church was only a few miles down the road, so engine rarely got up to a good temp. The engine had poor compression, constantly fouled plugs, and so when I pulled the valve covers I found it to be "coked" up. An older gentleman told me about a product called Rislone (not sure about spelling), but he ran it in everything. 1qt to 4qt ratio. He guaranteed it would "overhaul" my engine. It was worth a try.
It destroyed the engine. It must have contained mostly solvents because it dissolved crud so fast that it clogged the filter before the recommended "bring it up to ops temp, then drain oil and remove and clean oil pan". When I told the man about this, he allowed that he used it with every oil change, forever. I suspect if you used it all the time it wouldn't hurt anything, but in my case it worked way to good. I prefer Canola :lol:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas