Bike rack STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Re: Bike rack STC

Post by Metal Master »

This is the mountain bike I put in the back of my airplane when the rear seat is removed for camping expeditions.
http://www.montaguebikes.com/paratroope ... -bike.html
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Richard,... you've GOT to write an article and post some pics of that!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Mit (the owner of the 185) is a customer of mine. He bought a pod from me last year. Like most of the southern hemisphere customers I've had, he was truly a first class guy to deal with.
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

Arash, I asked a local FAA guy who also owns a 170 and he said if I removed the rear seat to recalculate the W&B and make a logbook entry. Simple as that.
ISAIAH 40:31
falco

Post by falco »

...and if you look carefully, true to scale with the big brother there will be no back seat or right seat in the 27% model. They will have been removed to accommodate the 7.3% scale model inside the 27% version. Strong magnifying glasses will be provided at the show to read the perfect labeling on that instrument panel... Now over here under the microscope is the really small 1.9% scale...
Waterboy

Post by Waterboy »

Aryana wrote:Ok, so we know the under wing bike rack is real...now someone help me understand what I'm looking at in this photo please.

Are these hay bales being dumped out of wing mounted cages?

Source: http://www.skywagons.net/page6/page6.html
image.jpg
That's a cool Photo. In the helicopter industry there is a operation called Hay Bail bombing. It's done to rehab areas after a wildfire has burned through. In the helicopter the hay is placed in cargo nets suspended on a 100ft line. While flying a at 60 knots the cargo hook is opened allowing the net to empty. One corner of the net is fixed to the 100ft line so it is not dropped along with the hay. I have never seen it done from an airplane.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Pretty amazing when one considers the weight those hay-bales place in the negative upon the wing-structure during loading, and the abuse which must occur on unimproved runway takeoffs. Wing struts were not intended to support much compression load, and a square bale of most grasses will weigh 50-90 lbs... alfalfa can weigh 100-125 in a 3-string bale. It appears in the photo that 3-4 bales is being released from each wing, so 500 lbs.. :?: .. EACH WING... :!: .... 8O

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

I can't imagne the drag.
ISAIAH 40:31
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Regarding the bike rack, I found a new solution.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/spec_ssc.htm

We just picked up a tandem that will break down and fit in a suitecase.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I would like to see a 170 at the convention with static display of bike rack with bicycles installed.

One could disassemble bike/s stow in back. I would not encourage long cross country with bicycles hanging down.

Certainly would add to conversation to see a bike rigged Cessna at convention.

Perhaps a local news media could cover the uniqueness. Reach out to local community encourage them to take flying lessons and come fly with us.

How many bicycles are sold each year?

Certainly a number of cyclist deserve to become fellow pilots.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C