Cold Weather Operations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: Cold Weather Operations

Post by Ryan Smith »

johneeb wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:Preheated for two hours, five shots of prime with one loaded after I pulled the starter, but it wasn't necessary. She started on the second blade and ran like a top. I set a timer on my phone (the handholds on the glareshield hold an iPhone 5S perfectly, BTW) for five minutes and kept the RPM between 800-1000 RPM and then taxied out to warm up.

The airplane has done great today, and I've never seen oil temps this cool! Thank you everyone again for the guidance. It made my morning much less stressful.
Ryan,
I made it down to Urbana today and while there poked around Rudy Frasca's very interesting collection. They have a late model (1955+) 170 with an unusual instrument panel, the center section (about 10 or 11 inches square) is pushed out about 1.5 to 2 inches with a nice 6 pack instrument display (have you seen it?) if I ever join the digital revolution I will be able to take photos.

I heard they had one, but I never saw it. I always wanted to. The guy that I knew that kept airplanes there was run off for some pretty bad stuff; even before that I was careful to not overstay my welcome there. I didn't really make a strong connection with David, although Rudy is the nicest person anyone could ever hope to meet and opened the doors to the museum for a self-guided tour...to include him telling our group we could sit in his Spitfire.

Your comment about joining the digital age makes me chuckle since you have, hands down, the nicest, most technologically advanced panel in any Cessna 170.