A Rambling Thought?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

A Rambling Thought?

Post by Metal Master »

A Rambling Thought?
On January 28th 2015 Col. Rob Barrie Commander of the Redstone Arsenal, Ala. Announced to reporters that the U.S. Army was planning on maintaining the relevancy of the CH47 Chinook helicopter through at least 2060. All I can say is Wow! 100 years. The CH 47 “Chinook helicopter made its first hovering flight on 21 September 1961. The CH46 the Chinooks predecessor was already a production machine by this time. Considering that over the preceding 60 years man had come from the fledgling flights of the Wright flyer to the hovering of the CH46 an incredible growth in an industry that previously did not exist one would think that by the year 2060 we would have grown as a people beyond the need for aerodynamics to accomplish Heavy lift capability. I guess the farsightedness of our engineering, experimenting and grass roots development of future technologies has at last finally reached its maximum and nothing further can be developed.
In an 1899 edition of Punch magazine a comedic periodical the following was posted.
The Coming Century.
Scene – Office of a Publisher. Enter a Genius
Genius. I want to see the manger of the book department.
Boy. Oh, there isn’t one, Sir
Genius. Well, who looks after the pictures?
Boy. That’s Done by machinery , Sir
Genius. Isn’t there a clerk who can examine patents?
Boy. Quite unnecessary, Sir. Everything that can be invented has been invented.
Genius. Well, I want to leave a novel, a picture, and an idea.
Boy, You must be rather old fashioned, Sir, All sorts of work is done, nowadays, by mental photography.

So here is the beginning of the comment everything that can be invented has been invented. Something until now we know not to have been true, at least since 1899 from a comedic sense. Over the years the statement has been misconstrued to have been stated by an actual genius or scientist as is the set up for the joke.
But now we have certain proof that nothing further this way comes, we as a people are stagnated in technology and everything that can be invented has been invented and we will never get further off of the earth than a helicopter can lift us.
I am dismayed down trodden and finding it difficult to go on. Then again maybe the 2060 version of the CH47 will not use rotor blades after all DeLorean’s can fly. I have seen it.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!