Cessna 170 A V speeds

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DMACJR

Cessna 170 A V speeds

Post by DMACJR »

Folks, I just want to get some input about V speeds for the 170A as I have a bit of a debate going on about a couple of them.....I will list what I have been able to
have found to be fact, what I was told by my previous owner, etc. Just looking for clarification mostly on what is the Best Approach Speed and Best Long Climb Speed.

Vr 49 Vso 53 Vs 58 Vat 68.5 (Vso x 1.3) Vx 76 Vy 89 Va 115 Vno 140 Vne 160

I have been told by the previous owner that he used 85 as his Best Approach Speed and 85 as his Best Long Climb Speed after 400 AGL @ 2400 rpm

Any insight would be greatly appreciated
bagarre

Re: Cessna 170 A V speeds

Post by bagarre »

My approach is 65 to 70 with it around 50 or so over the threshold.

I climb out of the pattern at 85 or 90 but I value airspeed over altitude when leaving an airport. Just me.

My cruise climb (is that best long climb speed?) is full throttle and 100 on the airspeed. Again, that might be my preference for a little more airspeed in everything but landing.

I fly light. Me and my wife. I rarely have passengers in the back.
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

Gentlemen, I thank you both for your insight to my questions in such a short reply time. Although I have 1000+ hoursTT, I am new at actually owning an airplane, this after a very long absence from aviation (career change), I am new to this airplane and new to a tail dragger as well and I am getting ready to do my FAA req'd BFR and TD endorsement flight real soon. The speeds that I quoted, were all found in the "original" Cessna 170A Operations Manual and I just wanted to clarify those numbers with folks that have much more experince in type. The Best long climb speed that I quoted, can be found on page 31 as being 85-95 MPH and also states to avoid long full throttle climbs, being not only a pilot but an A&P a well, this is no doubt for reducing stress on the engine with better cooling and reduced fuel consumption. The Best Glide speed in that same manual, also states 70-75 mph.....so that goes hand in hand with one of yours reply. I have learned to fly this bird out of a 2600 grass strip here in FL and I have done countless tarmac transition TO's and LDGS as well at another airport close by in preparation for my BFR. You both have pretty much answered my questions and over time I will get a better feel for different speeds, for different scenarios. Once again thanks for you insight. Regards, Dave M. Onwer of a 1950 Cessna 170A, N5766C
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

On a standard day, a naturally aspirated engine is going to lose pretty close to an inch of MAP/thousand feet up to 8000 ft. (29.92 in.hg. at sea level and 22.22 in, hg. at 8000)
BL
DMACJR

Post by DMACJR »

Thanks Aryana, but my bird has a very basic panel, unfortunately I have NO MP gauge... :cry:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DMACJR wrote:Thanks Aryana, but my bird has a very basic panel, unfortunately I have NO MP gauge... :cry:
And you don't need one either with a fixed pitch prop but it's a nice and handy reference.
Take Off and climb with full throttle. Cruise at 2450 with a standard 7653 prop.

The Owner's Manual for the A-model provides the speeds you referenced and are valid. Not much reason to question them.
Obtacle clearance climb (Vx) is 76 mph IAS.
Best rate (Vy) is 89 mph IAS.
Recommended appch is 70-75
And Vfo is 100.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)