C-170 Article in Feb 2015 AOPA Magazine (Split Topic)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

C-170 Article in Feb 2015 AOPA Magazine (Split Topic)

Post by GAHorn »

Of further interest, I received a call from one of the writers at AOPA who is authoring an article on the Cessna 170 to appear in the Feb. issue. He was seeking some pre-purchase guidance. I returned his voice mail several times but he has not gotten back to me yet. I have seen/read many such articles in various magazines over the years and can usually find quite a few items often overlooked in "pre-buy" inspections, and have always wanted to be able to contribute to them. This experience is one of the major advantages of a discussion-forum such as this one.... you can gain quite a bit of insight by listening to the experiences of others.
I'm sure by now the time-frame for input has passed and we have still not connected, ... Anyway, keep an eye out for what he writes and we'll see how his article develops. I hope he steers folks to our association.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

C-170 Article in Feb 2015 AOPA Magazine

Post by DWood »

Anyway, keep an eye out for what he writes and we'll see how his article develops. I hope he steers folks to our association.
Here is the article
AOPA Article Feb 2015.pdf
(316.77 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Why Annual inspection is the ONLY, valid pre-buy inspect

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well it is a "Dirt Simple" article. Typical of media and journalists. They want to get a few quick facts and they get them wrong. They don't have the time to understand or space to write if they did.

All in all it could have been worse. I'm glad he didn't have 3 pages to fill.

Richard, I didn't realize Del converted your A to a B. Very deceptive conversion. He really is a master at his craft. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
juredd1

Post by juredd1 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Richard, I didn't realize Del converted your A to a B. Very deceptive conversion. He really is a master at his craft. :lol:
Arkansas is sounding gooder and gooder, hey Bruce!! :P Believe it or not we have medivacs in Arkansas as well.
My playground....
35°58’52.01” N 93°06’27.51” W
'54 170B White and Green with a hint of Red
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: Richard, I didn't realize Del converted your A to a B. Very deceptive conversion. He really is a master at his craft. :lol:
Say what?

Oh, ok, never mind, I just read the article.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

That article was borderline useless. Glad to see some page space for a neat airplane, though.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Nice Ad for the 170 club..... good exposure, would have been expensive if the Association would have bought that space.

No harm no foul..... take it when you can get it :)

p.s. lucky thing they didn't show Richard's "B" model in the article :lol: :lol:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Good words Willie! Thanks.

Spot-on observation, how much does a full page ad cost? Everything that guy said was positive. Even the negatives don't really amount to anything, normal stuff that applies to all airplanes. And he had a tough time finding anything to fit in the "Negatives" spot. Only the parking brake issue is a 170 specific problem. Overall the article is very positive and might just be what a fence-sitter might need to encourage them to buy one. The article is titled, "Pilot Briefing", and it was not intended to be a full-blown aircraft evaluation.

Who knows what good that exposure will bring to the club? Hopefully it will generate more participation in the club and ownership of these fine airplanes. 170s are such good deals these days maybe there will be some folks that will realize owning an airplane is actually feasible for them, especially with the price of avgas plunging. When they can buy a real 4-place airplane for the price of an SUV, they might reconsider buying. I wish I had thought to make that comment in the interview.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I can't understand their perspective, imagine just one page, on a plane that's just the best plane in the world! :D
Ok..Ok..Maybe I'm bit off biased here!
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I found the article disappointing with errors. But, it's true that the reference to our assoc'n is a good thing. Thanks for plugging for us, Richard!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I find the article to be "Typical AOPA" five cents a word type aviation writing

I have never gotten over being p---ed off about flying all the way to the AOPA conventoin in San Jose,CA, where even as a member, paying an admission fee to get in, and then just found a bunch of commercial vendors exhibiting and selling.
BL
flyboy122

Re: C-170 Article in Feb 2015 AOPA Magazine (Split Topic)

Post by flyboy122 »

After about 6 months of 170 ownership I have to say I'm really impressed. The airplane offers a tremendous bang for the buck. 4 seats, reasonable comfort, reasonable cruise, looks good, flies great, and can operate from 99% of the grass/paved airports in the country. All for a price affordable by the average person. Drive a 1995 Chevy truck to the airport instead of a 2015 model and you can own a 170. The "Glory Days"...the "Golden Years"....umm, that's right now!

Where can one find those $35,000 180hp 170's that Vref talks about?

DEM
Ryan Smith

Re: C-170 Article in Feb 2015 AOPA Magazine (Split Topic)

Post by Ryan Smith »

flyboy122 wrote:After about 6 months of 170 ownership I have to say I'm really impressed. The airplane offers a tremendous bang for the buck. 4 seats, reasonable comfort, reasonable cruise, looks good, flies great, and can operate from 99% of the grass/paved airports in the country. All for a price affordable by the average person. Drive a 1995 Chevy truck to the airport instead of a 2015 model and you can own a 170. The "Glory Days"...the "Golden Years"....umm, that's right now!

Where can one find those $35,000 180hp 170's that Vref talks about?

DEM
From the insurance company after they've been dinged. :lol:

I've not been involved with any other type clubs, although I'm somewhat aware of the goings on with the ABS. TIC170A is a great organization and an invaluable resource. I can't think of any finer, more passionate, more helpful group of individuals than we have here.