Your Most Favorite Christmas Present Ever

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Your Most Favorite Christmas Present Ever

Post by W.J.Langholz »

My most favorite Christmas Present was when I was in 5th grade.

I was one of 7 children (the other 6 were girls). It was the first period of the day and my Dad showed up at school, talked to the teacher for a bit, the teacher came to my desk and told me to go with my dad.
My first thought was that something bad had happened so I gathered my thing quickly and out the door we went. When we got in the car I said nothing. A few minutes passed (seemed like and hour) and Dad said "Today you and me are going to do something special, we are going to get a Christmas Tree!!! "

We went out and cut a tree down and spent all day putting the tree up with decorations and all...... just me and him, all day with my Dad... that was the best Christmas Present ever!!!!

What was yours?

Merry Christmas All

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Kyle Wolfe

Re: Your Most Favorite Christmas Present Ever

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

My first shotgun was a short barreled Model 12 Winchester given to me by my Dad. He had it specially cut down for my smaller kid frame at the time.

Many years ago I felt I needed something more modern and in order to purchase that new fangeled semi automatic I had to come up with more cash than I had. So I sold my Model 12 to a cousin.

I often regretted selling that firearm.

Years later after my Dad had passed my cousin gave me that shotgun back for Christmas. Having that gift that my Dad originally gave me still makes me cry. I think of that gift and my Dad on every Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas to all our 170 friends! Enjoy your friends and family today!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Today with my family. My 3 year old little girl woke up early today, because that's what kids do on xmas. She "helped" my 3 month old boy open his gifts. What a great day!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Good idea Willie! I haven't ever thought about that before but it's an easy decision.

My best Christmas present was when I was 12. I got my first 4-wheel vehicle. We lived in Texas so I can only remember having a white Christmas two times in my whole life. I had always dreamed of having a Flexible Flyer sled flying down snow covered hillsides but I knew that would never happen in Texas.

Christmas morning I got up as usual and ran to the Christmas tree to see what was there. We opened all our presents and thought we were through. Then, after the frenzy wore off my dad left the room and came back with something I had never seen before and did not even know existed. It was built exactly like a Flexible Flyer sled but it had wheels instead of runners. It was called a Flexy Racer. My best friend got one as well, our parents had coordinated the surprise.

Carl and I lived on our Flexy Racers from then on, terrorizing the neighborhood sidewalks and alleys with speeding imitation sleds. Carl's dad had junked a reel type lawn mower but saved the Briggs and Stratton 2hp engine. He sold it to me for $5 and I built a mount and drive system with a centrifugal clutch and mounted the engine on the back of my Flexy. I really was able to scare the daylights out of my parents then. They knew I would drive under an unsuspecting car some day but luckily I never did. The engine was later transferred to a home-made mini bike but I never had any more fun than with the old Flexy. It's still in my mom's attic.

Kyle- My second best Christmas present was when my dad gave me a 16ga. Model 12 Winchester, a scaled down exact copy of his big 12ga. I had picked it out a couple of years earlier but did not get it until I was as tall as the gun, his rule. We hunted together with those guns many times. I still have both of them, I have shot mine ever since and it's still my favorite shotgun. I got my dad's 12ga when he passed away. I won't ever be selling either one of them.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I still have my Dads old 12 Ga., model 12, with a 32 inch full choke tube. I won a junior skeet shoot with it in San Mateo, CA, back when I was about 12 0r 13 years old.
My dad was rather small and it has a relatively short stock.
BL
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Today has to be one for me to remember as one of my best. My girlfriend bought me new tires for my Harley Road King, a 2t external hard drive, and paid for half of a Sportsmans STOL kit for the 170. I think I'll hang on to her....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I was 12 when I found a RED Schwinn "Tornado" with 26" tires behind the Christmas tree!
I wish I still had it, but I think some underprivileged kid over at Harmony House ended up with it years later.
It won more neighborhood bike races than could be counted.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)