New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

swixtt

Re: New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

Post by swixtt »

Well, here she is...
Last edited by swixtt on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
170C

Post by 170C »

Very nice :!: :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Sweet!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

That's a really nice looking airplane. It'a 1952 also. Of course, I'm partial to that model because that's what mine was. I like their cowling best too. Easier to get at the engine.
BL
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Hello again, well i've succeeded in resolving the fuel pump breaker tripping. The 2amp CB was originally installed way back during the conversion... the documentation shows a 5amp CB should be used so we switched it out and have not had another issue since! that's the short version of it.
my stall warning on the other hand is still on the frits. i have the switch working and noticed the light on the buzzer the other day(didn't know that was functional). there still is not audible sound though. i will try to remove from the panel and test it on the bench.
hope all have a great holiday break no matter how short or long you get.

cheers
c170b53

Re: New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delairu

Post by c170b53 »

This thread might buzz true to you http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6964
If the light works you might also give the buzzer a tap before you go in / operate.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thx Jim, i've got it bookmarked already :) wishing for warmer temps to carry on with the 'procedure'!
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

well, i've got the switch working now and the lamp so all wiring and switch is good now. (the lamp is burnt out now:( so must hunt for a new one) i removed the horn and then with a tap on the side it started blaring again. of course it needs a tap to sound every time i trigger the switch now. i read through the Stall horn failure thread and George has a good write up of the dis-assembly of it. i am hopeful i can get into to see if i can get it working a little more reliably.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The horn is a diaphragm vibrated by a electro magnet. The get set from years of no use. The more you use it the better it will work. You may also see what looks like an adjustment screw. This is acts a a vibration limiter. Often times just moving it a 1/8 of a turn and then maybe back fixes a inoperative horn.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

well, took her out for another fly yesterday and horn is working great now. hopefully it keeps on working. i did find the exact replacement 1816 bulb in town as well... i was surprised i could. so it looks as though this issue is behind me for the time being! i did turn that screw in the back of the warning horn so hopefully that helped a little too. it still doesn't trigger when the switch is flipped up, it needs a little encouragement to sound. the vibration of the plane made it go yesterday i'm sure.

in other news - sure could use some skis right about now as yesterday's flight showed some great new spots to land:)
Last edited by swixtt on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

swixtt wrote:Hello again, well i've succeeded in resolving the fuel pump breaker tripping. The 2amp CB was originally installed way back during the conversion... the documentation shows a 5amp CB should be used so we switched it out and have not had another issue since!

cheers
Um, double check the wiring. The CB should be sized to the wire, not the load. (The wire should be sized to the load.) If they sized the wire for the incorrect 2 amp CB, it may melt/smoke before popping the 5 amp CB.

DEM
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thanks for the note DEM, i agree with you on the wiring... that CB was wrong right from DelAir parts list, it should have been bigger. what i'm saying is the 'kit' was designed for a 5amp but for whatever reason the parts pull list indicated a 2amp one. showing 18ga on the install.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

flyboy122 wrote:[...Define "reasonable cost". Seriously, I'm not trying to make a point here. I work for an OEM and I'm genuinely curious as to what people consider a reasonable cost for replacement documentation is.....

DEM

Well, when I contacted BAS about the tail pull handles on my aircraft they offered to supply me with a new STC document which reflects the current tail number for $10. (They easily confirmed my airplane was modified per their STC by serial number but with a previous registration number.) I consider that service "reasonable" despite the fact I don't care and declined because the document in my records does reflect the airframe SN.
I think "reasonable" would cover the costs of printing/binding/shipping and small handling fee. Example: The original Owners Manual for our airplanes has been lost and/or deteriorated. Cessna will supply a fresh and current printing for $30. I think that's high, but reasonable. (And a replica/reprint is available from Univair for $19.)
If my Cleveland wheel/brake conversion (which originally cost about $1100) paperwork was lost, I'd expect Parker-Hannifin/Cleveland to supply replacement documents for a reasonable fee.... say $25. But in fact, they sent a friend replacements for no charge. THAT is better-than-good customer service.....and is one reason why as Parts/Mx Advisor I recommend using their factory supply-chain/vendors rather than run down to the junk yard and pick up parts and roll-your-own.

There is an excellent story about customer-service in the John Deere tractor story.
During the Great Depression farmers all over were bankrupted. Many could not pay their previous year's seed bill much less make tractor payments.
Many tractor and implement mfr's and banks repossessed tractors and implements when payments were missed.
John Deere recognized that as a mfr'r .... it would do them little good to have a bunch of used, repossessed tractors sitting around the factory when their business is making and selling New tractors. So they told their farmers to KEEP their John Deere tractors and keep on working them ...and when the economy turned-around... to resume making payments at that time.
Those farmers never forgot that.... and you can now understand why their NEXT and Subsequent tractors and implements were from John Deere!

It would behoove mfr's and suppliers to remember that.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Maybe you ought to paint your airplane "John Deere Green". I remember seeing one painted that way and trimmed with yellow. I thought it really looked pretty good.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

I saw a C-180 at a fly in once that was painted in John Deere colors and on both sides of the verticle was a large JD logo. Must have been either a serious JD collector or a dealer. Over in east TX at an airport near my inlaws was a really nice '55 C-170 that belonged to an 86 year old gentleman. It had a good autopilot, modern avionics and later model seats. Also has a Lyc O-360 w/ fixed pitch prop. He told me he had well over $60k invested in it. He passed a way several years later and the airport owner purchased the plane from his estate. That plane was painted in JD colors, just didn't have a JD logo on it-----looked really sharp.

Dick, I don't think George will be painting his 170 in JD colors. He wouldn't want to be flying with the extra speed the green paint would provide :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018