New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

Post by GAHorn »

flyboy122 wrote:[...Define "reasonable cost". Seriously, I'm not trying to make a point here. I work for an OEM and I'm genuinely curious as to what people consider a reasonable cost for replacement documentation is.....

DEM

Well, when I contacted BAS about the tail pull handles on my aircraft they offered to supply me with a new STC document which reflects the current tail number for $10. (They easily confirmed my airplane was modified per their STC by serial number but with a previous registration number.) I consider that service "reasonable" despite the fact I don't care and declined because the document in my records does reflect the airframe SN.
I think "reasonable" would cover the costs of printing/binding/shipping and small handling fee. Example: The original Owners Manual for our airplanes has been lost and/or deteriorated. Cessna will supply a fresh and current printing for $30. I think that's high, but reasonable. (And a replica/reprint is available from Univair for $19.)
If my Cleveland wheel/brake conversion (which originally cost about $1100) paperwork was lost, I'd expect Parker-Hannifin/Cleveland to supply replacement documents for a reasonable fee.... say $25. But in fact, they sent a friend replacements for no charge. THAT is better-than-good customer service.....and is one reason why as Parts/Mx Advisor I recommend using their factory supply-chain/vendors rather than run down to the junk yard and pick up parts and roll-your-own.

There is an excellent story about customer-service in the John Deere tractor story.
During the Great Depression farmers all over were bankrupted. Many could not pay their previous year's seed bill much less make tractor payments.
Many tractor and implement mfr's and banks repossessed tractors and implements when payments were missed.
John Deere recognized that as a mfr'r .... it would do them little good to have a bunch of used, repossessed tractors sitting around the factory when their business is making and selling New tractors. So they told their farmers to KEEP their John Deere tractors and keep on working them ...and when the economy turned-around... to resume making payments at that time.
Those farmers never forgot that.... and you can now understand why their NEXT and Subsequent tractors and implements were from John Deere!

It would behoove mfr's and suppliers to remember that.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Maybe you ought to paint your airplane "John Deere Green". I remember seeing one painted that way and trimmed with yellow. I thought it really looked pretty good.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

I saw a C-180 at a fly in once that was painted in John Deere colors and on both sides of the verticle was a large JD logo. Must have been either a serious JD collector or a dealer. Over in east TX at an airport near my inlaws was a really nice '55 C-170 that belonged to an 86 year old gentleman. It had a good autopilot, modern avionics and later model seats. Also has a Lyc O-360 w/ fixed pitch prop. He told me he had well over $60k invested in it. He passed a way several years later and the airport owner purchased the plane from his estate. That plane was painted in JD colors, just didn't have a JD logo on it-----looked really sharp.

Dick, I don't think George will be painting his 170 in JD colors. He wouldn't want to be flying with the extra speed the green paint would provide :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frank,
I wouldn't be a bit surprized if painting a C-170 in JD Green, with the proper logo of course, wouldn't allow it to operate on diesel fuel without any road tax.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Might have to upgrade to one of those new Continental 155 hp Diesel engines Dick
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I prefer not having to travel at John Deere speeds. :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

bit of an update:
i've sent down my DelAir Fuel/Man pressure gauge to have it looked at. it was removed from my plane before i purchased and would like to have that back in there (as per the STC requirement and for mine:) i also noticed my CHT and EGT gauge doesn't seem quite right. i'll be sending that down as well to have it checked. i thought it was required for the STC but Chris said it wasn't. i'd like it though!!
also found out my back seat is broken and isn't airworthy anymore. i'm considering going the jump seat mode.
I've pulled my co-pilot seat out as the foam is in really bad shape and a couple of busted springs inside. (pulling the pilots out soon too) while stripping it down and removing the rollers from the seat, is it recommend to change the rails at the same time? i do not see anything wrong with the rails, no cracks, dings, holes are not deformed,etc. the rollers have worn bushing so i thought i should replace those but wasn't sure if i could without a matching track. do you follow me? any suggested place to obtain them? i'm in canada so i was thinking that Spruce should have them but they are pricey.
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Hi swixtt, if you decide to go with the folding back seats, I would be interested in your back seat. Let me know as I am over to the west of you in BC. Thanks Bill
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You can change out the seat rollers with or without new seat tracks. They are not matched.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

As a reminder, the seat rail AD also requires measuring the seat feet roller areas for wear.
It's supposed to be done every annual but if you're changing rollers, it's a good time to do that as well.

With a caliper, it's not difficult to measure and the AD gives the exact measurements to look for.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you decide to replace your seat tracks, the McFarlane tracks are probably the better ones. They are slightly thicker and more robust.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thx for the feedback.
Any idea what these rollers are made of?

http://www.aircraft-spruce.ca/catalog/g ... -00425.jpg

Mine were alum. And wondered if I should stick to that for replacement. Mine are without those washers too.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Spruce is very good about answering questions 877-477-7823
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

swixtt wrote:Thx for the feedback.
Any idea what these rollers are made of?

http://www.aircraft-spruce.ca/catalog/g ... -00425.jpg

Mine were alum. And wondered if I should stick to that for replacement. Mine are without those washers too.
Searching that P/N on the Spruce site shows that it's seat kit SK-3, which is made by McFarlane Aviation.

McFarlane's site says: "Our rollers are fabricated from molydisulfide filled nylon for improved strength and self-lubrication."
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Thx Dave, does it say that on their site? i couldn't find that mentioned under any of the tabs for that product.