New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: New Owner and Member 52b w 180hp Delair

Post by GAHorn »

or always keep your posts short like mine. :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

in searching the site, how or where could a person locate the Del-Air tid-bits? i tried searching and the only thread that shows is mine :lol:

i received another binder for the 170b yesterday. has more, thorough STC info for what is on the plane. still nothing on the actual install of the Del-Air for documentation.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Give 'em a call. They're still in business:

Del-Air
2099 Wildcat Way
Porterville, CA 93257
Phone: (559) 784-9440
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

cessna170bdriver wrote:Give 'em a call. They're still in business:

Del-Air
2099 Wildcat Way
Porterville, CA 93257
Phone: (559) 784-9440

took a moment and gave them a call!!
what a great guy to speak with! he knew within a minute who i was and what plane i had bought :o
he helped answer numerous questions i had regarding the Fuel pump and the Gauge. i'll post up when i know a bit more and the resolution to the issue, don't want to pollute a thread with jazz.

i feel the group is quite unique in the aviation world.... glad i'm apart of it.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Welcome swixtt! Glad to have you on the roster!

Looks like you're in the north country! Where are you located?

When I do a search on delair I get 140 some message hits. Try searching on that word alone 'delair'. Others can chime in about bolean (sp?) searches but I always try to search using different variations of names, spelling, combination of names, etc. There are just too many ways to spell words (or misspell words) which can cause difficulty in finding what you might be looking for.

How about some exterior pictures?

Glad the folks at Del-air (or Delair or Del-aire or Del-airre or ......!) :lol: helped you out!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Harry Delicker passed away some time back and you must have been talking to his number one man. He is exceptionally well versed in things "C-170", and is very accomodating.
If you had been talking to Harry, may his soul rest in peace, you'd still be on the phone. I thought they might have burried him with a cell phone, but I guess not.
I used to enjoy flying down to Porterville and sticking Harry for lunch. Boy, was he a patsy! My ears would be ringing all the way back to Sacramento. He and I had Boeing B-47s in common. He was a crew chief and I flew 'em.
BL
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

thanks for the assistance fellas.... i'm happily searching now for good or bad:)
of course i found something in my searching that i'd like to ask c170b53 ... do you have the Delair conversion on yours? the reason i ask is you mentioned in a post about the Facet Fuel pump being mounted vertically. what is the significance of this? the thread never mentioned anything more about it mainly due to the fact his issue was more fuel contamination than anything else. mine is mounted dead vertical on the firewall so that is what prompted me to ask. is there something here to know?
i've really got to track down my Delair paperwork on the install as it will cost me some $$ if i want to replace it. i have the STC info but nothing else to show 'how' the STC should be installed,etc. it isn't something i necessarily need but would really like to have it for my AME.
i do have a real picture of it sitting on a grass strip finally... i'll have to post that one up eventually.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Depending on when the mod was accomplished, it's possible that ICA's (Instructions for Continued Airworthiness... a mandatory matter) may require your annual inspection to confirm the mod was accomplished and maintained in accordance with the installation instructions. Unless you have a copy of those instructions... How will your IA determine the STC is maintained airworthy?

(I would make certain that I have any STC's or major alteration instructions/descriptions paperwork kept with my logs/records.) Del Air should provide copies to you at a reasonable or low cost.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

gahorn wrote:Depending on when the mod was accomplished, it's possible that ICA's (Instructions for Continued Airworthiness... a mandatory matter) may require your annual inspection to confirm the mod was accomplished and maintained in accordance with the installation instructions. Unless you have a copy of those instructions... How will your IA determine the STC is maintained airworthy?

(I would make certain that I have any STC's or major alteration instructions/descriptions paperwork kept with my logs/records.) Del Air should provide copies to you at a reasonable or low cost.
that is exactly what i'm thinking too... thanks for confirming. low cost, not so much.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, it'd be disappointing if they modified an airplane and failed to supply the necessary information to maintain it. If word of that got out.... :? (Let them know that's how we feel around here.... I make recommendations to them from time to time and I'll not feel so warm and fuzzy about doing that if there's a problem with support.)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote:Well, it'd be disappointing if they modified an airplane and failed to supply the necessary information to maintain it. If word of that got out.... :? (Let them know that's how we feel around here.... I make recommendations to them from time to time and I'll not feel so warm and fuzzy about doing that if there's a problem with support.)
That might be a jump in conclusions.

We don't know if they failed to provide the documentation or if the previous owner failed to retain said documentation.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

i'm true to my heritage, I'm chea....frugal, so I've got a Doyn conversion but they are many similar aspects to Lycoming conversions. The electric pump should be mounted vertically so there's no chance of an air pocket forming across the pump. Early engineering drawings for conversions may have relied more on art than specifications :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:...
We don't know if they failed to provide the documentation or if the previous owner failed to retain said documentation.
My comment was in response to the inference their replacement documents are " low cost, not so much." to a present owner.
In my opinion, the owner of an airplane that was legally modified in accordance with their STC should be afforded the documents necessary for cont'd airworthiness for reasonable costs, especially in these times of electronic media. In my opinion, that is a customer service issue, and it's that information that is requested of me when I make recommendations for service providers. If a Member cannot obtain the documents for a reasonable fee, then I cannot help but feel reluctant to recommend them to anyone looking to purchase.
In-turn, that diminishes the value of any airplane being sold, which owners might wish to know about if a modification facility doesn't give good, follow-up customer service.

Your point is well-taken however, in that anyone looking to buy a modified airplane should confirm that all documentation is present at the time of purchase.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

gahorn wrote: In my opinion, the owner of an airplane that was legally modified in accordance with their STC should be afforded the documents necessary for cont'd airworthiness for reasonable costs, especially in these times of electronic media.
Define "reasonable cost". Seriously, I'm not trying to make a point here. I work for an OEM and I'm genuinely curious as to what people consider a reasonable cost for replacement documentation is.

We provide manual (maintenance, flight, and IPC) updates and SL/SB's at no charge for the life of the aircraft. This represents a considerable expense to us, and I can completely understand why other OEM's charge. If you lost your manuals, though, or didn't receive them with your aircraft, well sorry but I have to charge for replacements (at which point updates are again free). This sort of begs the question: how were you, or the previous owner, maintaining the aircraft or flying it within the limits without the manuals? For relatively simple aircraft like our 170's this isn't really a big deal, but for more complex aircraft and helicopters it can be.

DEM
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

So one other item that suddenly ceased to operate on last flight was the stall warning. After removing and testing, it was definitely the switch. It is all cleaned up and ready to go back in. Seemed to be a common issue after my handy searches :)
I did locate some drawings of the delair conversion so that will help in returning the plane back to the STCs specifications. I'm still hopeful I can obtain even more docs from the original owner when he did the STC.