Flying to Alaska

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wingnut

Re: Flying to Alaska

Post by wingnut »

I would just love to get there by any means possible, before I check out. I've been offered twice to go along with customers/friends, but the timing was wrong. When I've had the time, the money was wrong. One of these days....... :D
I wonder if a guy could make a living repairing airplanes up there?
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
pdb

Post by pdb »

bagarre wrote:Maybe we should try and coordinate a 170 armada to the North.
Guys... flying to Alaska is just not that big of a deal, either by yourself or in a group, provided you take enough time to deal with the weather. I have flown it 4 times in the last two years and about a dozen times or so overall and I never get tired of the sights,. Just bring a co-pilot along so you can do some of the sightseeing as well.

You can take the highway and have the world's longest runway under you all the time if you fly the Alaska Highway route. If you have the time and can afford the avgas, you ought to make the trip. I will guarantee you that you will see the best scenery in all of North America, both in Alaska and Canada along the way.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

wing nut wrote:I would just love to get there by any means possible, before I check out. I've been offered twice to go along with customers/friends, but the timing was wrong. When I've had the time, the money was wrong. One of these days....... :D
I have been making that trip to Alaska one or two times a year since 1983, sometimes solo. Next time the opportunity presents itself, I'll give you a call. I have originated several of those trips from Mena over the years, wish I had known.......
wing nut wrote:............I wonder if a guy could make a living repairing airplanes up there?
Quite a few of them do, and there never seems to be a lack of work either, especially during hunting season.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

bagarre wrote:Maybe we should try and coordinate a 170 armada to the North.
Sounds like a good idea to me! If anyone, whether in a group or not, makes the trip, I will be glad to help you plan the trip up and back and also while you're in Alaska. You will not have enough time to see everything no matter how long you have, I have tried very hard since 1983 and haven't seen it all yet.

One suggestion if your time and resources allow would be to fly the plane up and spend as much time as you can exploring Alaska. Then when its time to go home, leave the plane and fly back commercial. Alaska weather is good for flying from April thru the middle of October and is very benign in the summer, never severe. Then, come back to Alaska later, pick up the plane, explore some more, then go home when you have to. That type of trip removes the anxiety of knowing you have to fly round trip all at one time and lets you enjoy Alaska more. You're not always worried about getting home. That being said, I have suggested that plan for years and no one so far has done it, that I know of. :(
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
KG

Post by KG »

hilltop170 wrote: I have suggested that plan for years and no one so far has done it, that I know of. :(
Hi All.. I've done what Richard suggested, sort of... I flew my 170 to Alaska in the spring of 2012 "for the summer" and finally brought it back south this past September, two and half years later. I've been fortunate to have been able to spend a lot of time in Alaska and really enjoyed having the airplane there.

The big key, for me, is the weather. It's darn hard to predict more than a couple of days in advance. I have learned to not plan too far ahead, have several options in mind, and go where the weather is best. Being quasi based in Southcentral (Anchorage and Kenai) has worked out well for me..... I've made two or three day trips in all directions based on the best weather at the time. And if the weather is too sucky for flying, it's easy to find things to do and see within driving distance of Anchorage (heck, most of us could spend at least a day roaming around Lake Hood looking at airplanes).

Route to get there? Take the highway if it's your first trip up there. The "trench" shaves off 200 miles but unless you are in a hurry, who cares? The only exception is if the weather over the highway is bad and the weather in the trench is perfect.... you don't want to fly the trench in marginal weather. On the other hand you don't want to get stuck for days in Alberta either. With their booming oil patch prices are high for hotels, transportation, and meals. (That might change if these low oil prices slow down their production in that area by next year.) I say fly the highway, get through Alberta as quick as you can, and from Fort Nelson to points north you can have some real fun flying.

What time of year to go??? June and July have long days... but the prices are high. They really stick it to the tourist in hotel and restaurant prices. September can be rainy but prices have softened and sometimes it's great weather. I like early May too... still the shoulder season for most tourist businesses so prices aren't so bad, the Alaska Airman's Association has their "Great Aviation Gathering" http://www.greatalaskaaviationgathering.org/, and then there is a migration to Valdez to see (or participate in) the short field competitions.

Renting a furnished apartment for a month and using it as a semi-base is far cheaper than nightly hotel rentals. You can then take two or three day excursions as the weather permits, rent a car and see local stuff on the bad weather days (and there will be some). Last year I rented a furnished apartment on the Kenai river from April 20 through May 20 for $1000. That same room rents for $300 a night in July. I find that moving every day is not only more expensive but exhausting. A "down" day every now and then helps.

You will need an oil change or some other minor maintenance along the way too... a base of operations can help with that. The further you get out in the bush, the more difficult and expensive it will be. Any of the larger cities will either have things you need or they can get them from Anchorage in a day. (in Kenai you can buy your aviation oil right there in the "Three Bears" grocery store... just a couple of aisles over from the lunch meat and right down the aisle from the ammunition. Only in Alaska... :D )

Will you be staying in hotels and lodges or are you planning to be set up for camping? That can make a difference in where you go too. Some places have great lodges that you can fly to ....... camping opens up other opportunities.

Keep us posted on your plans, David. Richard is right.. if you can fly the plane up and leave it to come back and enjoy again that is a good option.

Hope to see you there...
Keith
53 170B
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Take the highway, late July / Aug (mosquitoes / salmon / rain), and enjoy the Yukon Territory - BC, that's some of the prettiest country on the trip. You'll be flying more miles across Canada, than in Alaska, stop and smell the roses. Are you a wheel pants pilot or can you land past the tourist - back of parks, river beds, mountain strips? What kind of set up do you have - prop - tires? Camping under wing or Lodging?
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

By the time I make the trip, I'll be swinging an 80" prop behind a 210HP Continental.
We'll pull the back seat and bring camping gear but will probably do more hotels than camping. My wife is a bit of a city girl.

Not sure about the wheel pants, I thought about putting a set of 800's on for the trip.

mosquitoes ... rain... is August the wrong time of the year to make the trip? Better in September? Not sure if everything will be in order for me to try earlier in the year.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

August and September are both good months to fly to/from/in Alaska. That said, those months see the beginning of fall weather systems which trend from west to east. There will be days of rain and clouds followed by days of spectacular clear skies and unrestricted visibility, like anywhere else. With the fall colors starting in late August, it is my favorite time of year to fly in Alaska.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

FWIW, I flew to Alaska in a 210 with 6.00x6 tires. I landed on unpaved runways in Northway, Denali, Cantwell, Anaktuvuk Pass, and Bettles. No problems at all. I love big tires, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but they're not required unless you're going to the bush.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Every village, town, and city in Alaska has at least one state maintained airport with at least a 2000' and most have a 3000' or longer runway. Most are gravel but well maintained by the state and do not require any special tires or other "bush" mods to safely operate in and out. Many have instrument approaches.

If you are not already proficient in off-airport bush flying, a vacation trip is not the place to start.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

hilltop170 wrote:Every village, town, and city in Alaska has at least one state maintained airport with at least a 3000' runway. Most are gravel but well maintained and do not require any special tires or other "bush" mods to safely operate in and out. Many have instrument approaches.

If you are not already proficient in off-airport bush flying, a vacation trip is not the place to start.
Whooo-Hoooo!, ...Richard! Does this mean I can take my under-powered, cruise-propped, panty-waisted red airplane to Alaska even if I didn't vote for you-know-who? :lol:

(And isn't it about-time another AK convention was hosted by you-know-who-too?) :lol:

This video definitely needs to be posted again!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/3w_v0k57KhE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

No, I'm not going to fly to Alaska and pretend to be a bush pilot all of a sudden.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Take the highway, late July / Aug (mosquitoes / salmon / rain)

I'm saying late July / Aug is the time to go. Mosquitoes are the worst up to July - All 4 types of Salmon are running by the end of July - rain starts coming towards the end of Aug (caused by the state fair). We hosted family and friends for 20 yrs and have tested these dates over and over. Hilltop - I was thinking places like Paxton, Park Strip - Kantishna, Talkeetna, Palmer, Knik River, Eklutna Lake, Merril, Quartz Creek, etc... Kenai, Homer, Seldovia, Homer, Seward, Girdwood (Princess Lodge) - that's mild.
170C

Post by 170C »

Flying to Alaska has long been on my bucket/wish list. To fly up there along with several other 170 type planes who aren't hell bent for leather to fly 12 hours a day, etc. would be quite the trip. There is a lot of real estate between here and Canada to get behind me before I would get to areas I haven't been to thanks to the 170 assn. I never savored spending most of a week getting to Alaska, another week to get back home and not having at least two plus weeks to enjoy Alaska itself. That is why we chose to do the cruise option for a couple of weeks prior to the 2000 170 convention in Anchorage. It would be interesting for someone or ones who have been there and done that numerous times (Richard :?: ) to give us lower 48 members some day by day suggestions as how to go up there, what to take, not take and places along the way not to miss. Then of course giving us suggestions where to go, not to go, and when the ideal time would be to do so. :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let's put together a GAGGLE and DO this! Anytime after this July convention!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)