Securing your load

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

T. C. Downey

Securing your load

Post by T. C. Downey »

when you remove your back seat how do you secure the load you are carrying? do you have rings that thread into the bolt holes for the seat? or ?
48RagwingPilot

Re: Securing your load

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

For the last nine years I have been using an Aircraft Cabin Organizer (aka cargo net) from Mountain Wave Aviation. It works very well and holds lots of stuff in a convenient location.

mountainwaveaviation.com
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

48RagwingPilot wrote:For the last nine years I have been using an Aircraft Cabin Organizer (aka cargo net) from Mountain Wave Aviation. It works very well and holds lots of stuff in a convenient location.

mountainwaveaviation.com
How do you anchor that to your aircraft?
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Come on Tom, We all know Skagit County pilots just use lots of Duct Tape and Bailing Twine for everything but Major Alterations! :lol: :D
48RagwingPilot

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

There are four attach clips on the cargo net that attach to four corresponding rings. On the top, the two inner rings are attached to the bolts in the spar that hold the BAS inertial reel harness and the outer rings to bolts in the upper part of the rear door posts. I don't think the attach points for the outer rings are stock, but my airplane has them nonetheless and there certainly seems to be enough structure up there to handle them. On the bottom, the two inner rings are attached to brackets on the seat rails and the outer rings to existing threaded holes in the floor at the base of the rear door post. It's a nice, easy install and the net and hardware are well made. I bought mine from the founder of the company and designer of the net, Mark McClellan, of McCall, ID. However, he sold the company several years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. I have heard anecdotally they work well in sudden stops and inversions, but know nothing beyond that. Hope this helps.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

48RagwingPilot wrote:There are four attach clips on the cargo net that attach to four corresponding rings. On the top, the two inner rings are attached to the bolts in the spar that hold the BAS inertial reel harness and the outer rings to bolts in the upper part of the rear door posts. I don't think the attach points for the outer rings are stock, but my airplane has them nonetheless and there certainly seems to be enough structure up there to handle them. On the bottom, the two inner rings are attached to brackets on the seat rails and the outer rings to existing threaded holes in the floor at the base of the rear door post. It's a nice, easy install and the net and hardware are well made. I bought mine from the founder of the company and designer of the net, Mark McClellan, of McCall, ID. However, he sold the company several years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed. I have heard anecdotally they work well in sudden stops and inversions, but know nothing beyond that. Hope this helps.
I did not know there was such a net. I stole mine from a rental car .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

See pgs 162/163 of 170B IPC for cargo rings.

Cargo nets: http://www.cargosystems.com/nets/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

I usally fill it up till there isn't any more room....... :?
Tim