hauling a core engine

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rydfly

hauling a core engine

Post by rydfly »

I'm purchasing a core C-145-2H engine to keep for parts to suppliment my own as a spare whenever time comes for O/H, or possibly even build as a complete spare over time to swap out in the future.

It doesn't include cylinders or camshaft, but does include some of the accessories (Bendix mags, starter). Everything is currently disassembled and bagged/oiled for storage.

My question... with my rear seat removed, do you folks think it would be possible to haul this thing in my 170? I'm not sure what it would all weigh. Without cylinders, the crankshaft, connecting rods, box of fasteners, and starter should be some of the heaviest parts, I would think.

I'm not sure about physical space, but I'm thinking it should be possible to make it all fit.

If it can be hauled by air, it means about 7-hr round trip vs. 16 hours by car.

Thoughts anyone?
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: hauling a core engine

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dry weight of the complete engine and accessories is 268lbs. If you can physically fit and secure the engine and be within W&B, and I believe you should be able to, then why not.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

rydfly wrote:I'm purchasing a core C-145-2H engine to keep for parts to suppliment my own as a spare whenever time comes for O/H, or possibly even build as a complete spare over time to swap out in the future.

It doesn't include cylinders or camshaft, but does include some of the accessories (Bendix mags, starter). Everything is currently disassembled and bagged/oiled for storage.

My question... with my rear seat removed, do you folks think it would be possible to haul this thing in my 170? I'm not sure what it would all weigh. Without cylinders, the crankshaft, connecting rods, box of fasteners, and starter should be some of the heaviest parts, I would think.

I'm not sure about physical space, but I'm thinking it should be possible to make it all fit.

If it can be hauled by air, it means about 7-hr round trip vs. 16 hours by car.

Thoughts anyone?
That's an easy do, just be certain you secure it properly. your weight should be around 100-125 pounds.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

That's an easy load. You really don't even need to remove the rear seat. Put the stuff in a cardboard box.
BL
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Without the cylinders it should weigh 150 lbs. I have done exactly this but everything must be secured down . It would pay to remove the back seat . When I did this a small part was rattling around and I couldn't get to it in flight and I was a screaming mess after 3.5 hours of flight . The vibration of flight set this damm rattling off. It only became apparent after levelling out at 7500 ft and a great tail wind . Oh , watch out for drips of oil from the disassembled engine . The old oil leaves a stain on the carpets .
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Aryana wrote:I just shipped a bare case, no crank or cam, and it was 60 lbs.
How was it crated?
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like a pretty solid plan to retrieve it by plane if weather permits.

Now for the real important question... Do I get to log it as multi-engine time? :wink:

-Kennet
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Only if they're BOTH RUNNING! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Hauling that load is not a problem because of the lack of weight. However if anyone should haul something like a auto engine then you should put a piece of plywood or heavy plastic down on the floor to spread out the load and have several 2x4 's to help spread the load. I use a piece of plastic from the bottom of a airboat about 3/8" thick cut to fit the floor behind the front seats. Do not allow the load to rest on a small area like a bolt head at any time as it will press a dent into the aluminum. Use wood blocks and scrap plywood to get through the door to not damage the door sill. I also use a table on wheels with a piece of plastic that is door high to load those kind of loads. The plastic makes sliding the heavy parts a lot easier than plywood which tends to gouge sometimes. Hauled a complete jeep about 300 miles west a few years ago. Just have to make the parts small enough to fit. Hope this helps anyone considering hauling anything where the weight is concentrated in a small area.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I was in Alaska a few years ago as a tourist and saw a cessna 180 with a canoe strapped to the underside , which brought a smile to my face but about 1/2 hour after that in taxis a cub with push bike strapped to the strut . That's a great place for aviation . So how do you get the body of a jeep into or strapped to the under side of a cessna 170 ? Where did the diff go ?
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

The frame is only 30" wide so it was cut in a straight spot where it could be bolted back together. Each peace on its' side fit in the plane, the body was cut behind the cab and in the bottom of the door behind the instrument panel and disassembled forward of the firewall. Also the back of the cab and roof were disassembled, hood, grill, radiator, axels, tires, the same. All fit inside the plane. Would mix and match light and heavy parts to get a full load, usually more bulk than weight. Wrapped blankets or tarps around sharp edges to save the headliner. Reassembled the frame and running gear, rolled it up to the plane and slid the V6 engine on blocks and plywood out the door and into place. Don't remember how many trips it took. Can't say it looks pretty but don't want it to shine anyway. A long way from any roads.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Roesbery wrote:... However if anyone should haul something like a auto engine then you should put a piece of plywood or heavy plastic down on the floor to spread out the load and have several 2x4 's to help spread the load.....
GREAT WORDS!

The floor can only support it's designated load when supported over a wide area such as the original seats, attach-points, and seat tracks. If you are going to haul anything with concentrated density (like your anvil-collection) place it on something like PLYWOOD which is cut-to-shape to fit as much as possible the shape of the floor where the item will be stored.

Also, secure it to PREVENT SHIFTING! One of the most dramatic demonstrations of the hazards of shifting-cargo is the recent take-off from Bagram by a B-747.... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5273,d.b2U

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_A ... Flight_102
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Thought I'd update on how it all worked out... Last Saturday I made an 8 1/2-hour round trip to Lancaster, PA to meet former 170 association member Kenneth Kamp to inspect/purchase the C-145 core. In preparation, I removed my back seat, lined the floor with thick insulation styrofoam (maybe 2.5-3" thick?), and made bulkheads at rear, front, and mid stations out of the same to contain the load.

Everything fit well, though it was a tight squeeze as Ken was nice enough to include several extras that I just couldn't turn down. By loading the heaviest parts in fwd cargo section (essentially, where a passenger would sit), CG wasn't noticeably affected. I had a passenger up front with me and by calculations :wink: I was just under MAX gross as loaded and fueled.

The flight each way was severe clear and very smooth. I've attached a couple of pics in the loaded condition, though it's tough to get a good impression of exactly how full it was back there by the images. With everything stacked in, you can't see that I had a divider that split the area across at about the same position as where the rear seat back usually resides.
Attachments
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
Last edited by rydfly on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.