Public Thank You

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Public Thank You

Post by Ryan Smith »

I am continually in awe at the quality of the membership here. I have not met anyone in aviation quite like the group of people we have here in TIC170A. Kind, generous, enthusiastic- basically every positive attribute a person can have are characteristic of our membership. I take special note of that, as I am not really anyone of note. I don't own an airplane, and while I have a commitment from the current owner of my family's airplane of nearly 25 years, it will be next year before any transaction occurs. I've had very good interactions with three valued members here, and I'd like to publicly thank them.

1. Jim/Lolly Wildharber and John McGuire. I had the pleasure of meeting the Wildharbers and JOhn at Triple Tree this year, and I could have had a more pleasurable experience. Jim and John went out of their way to talk to me about their airplanes, and I learned a lot from being around them for a few hours. I'd love to put Bartone exhaust extensions on our 170 when we get it back, and in an effort to clean up the cowling from some existing patches as well as the existing exhaust holes, I had thought that it would be cool to make new lower cowling halves. Much to my amazement, talking to Jim, this was exactly what he had done to his airplane, and I was elated to know that I wasn't crazy, and to know a little about the process. The upper cowling modifications wouldn't be as useful for me since our airplane has an air box cowling, but they are very, very nice nonetheless. John was a wealth of knowledge from the rebuild of his airplane, and I enjoyed hearing his stories.

2. Arash Aryana. I reached out to Arash a few days ago to see just how the original style gust lock worked, as I knew he had one. Arash was kind enough to FaceTime me while he was working in his hangar, show me how the gust lock installed, and even pull the carpet back to show me how the floor bracket installed. For someone that drinks from a firehose with 170 knowledge, that was a pretty risky move. :lol: He also took some time to talk engines with me, which allayed some of the fears that I have about oil consumption/blow by in our engine. That segues into my next thank you of...

3. John Nielsen. John was selling some parts a while back and was quick to respond to my request of the assist strap he had listed. I didn't pay close attention to the rest of the ad, because if I had, I would have seen that he was selling an original style gust lock. I didn't expect much because someone else had said that they were interested in it, so I guess the deal fell through. John contacted me a few days later, told me (what I believe to be) a very fair price, and then promptly shipped both items to me. This gust lock is cool!

3. Mike Roe; saving the best for last. I posted a thread a few days ago asking for some information on an original 1952 full gyro panel layout, as well as some specific questions about the compass covers that I've seen in a few airplanes. Mike was kind enough to answer the thread, and that conversation turned to a couple PMs back and forth. A few days later, I checked the mail, and there was a box from him with an original 1952 owner's manual (of which I had never seen and that was a wealth of information) in great shape, and a rapid prototype compass cover that he had made for his project. Mike simply said that the owner's manual belonged to someone with a '52 and didn't ask for any money for it. I'm absolutely floored and have really enjoyed the owner's manual and it has a lot of pictures that answer a lot of questions for me. The compass cover is just icing on the cake!

I'm sure everyone on here knows by now that I am extremely long-winded, but you guys are truly something else. I haven't had a bad interaction with anyone on here, and the level of knowledge and support that the group gives to others is simply a cut above what I've seen in any other organization out there. It makes it very easy to be involved with such a group of people. As I get to know people more and more, it makes me want to be an area rep once I am an airplane owner.You guys are a great bunch, and the six people I've mentioned tonight have been exceptionally kind and supportive to me the past couple of months. I would like to give a heartfelt, public thank you Jim, Lolly, John McGuire, John Nielsen, Arash, and Mike. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Public Thank You

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You know Ryan. We need a nice copy of a '52 Owners Manual for our library. Know anyone capable of carefully removing the staples, unfolding the book, scanning each page and covers in sequence to PDF then of course carefully reassembling the book with the original staples so no one would know. I'll bet you do.

And from all accounts of interaction I've had with you, you'll fit right in with all those fine folks you mentioned.

And you know what I wasn't sure but just checked. There is no requirement to own a 170 to be an Area Rep.

And let me give you some advice. While your around all these fine TIC170A folks, don't make the mistake of thinking out loud about hosting a convention.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:... don't make the mistake of thinking out loud about hosting a convention.
Not for a long time, at least!

I'm pretty handy with a scanner and compiling PDFs, so I think it would only be right for me to share this resource that has been shared with me. I don't know when I can get around to it, but I will scan it at some point soon.
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

Ryan
Thanks for the kind words. I thought you would enjoy the manual as much as I did. The pictures are great. If you go to any fly ins and see a Yellow small tail Stinson make sure to say hello. Camden is the next one 10/2-10/4. Good luck with your 52. It's the best of both worlds, big flaps and piano key instrument panel.
Mike Roe
jwmcgu

Post by jwmcgu »

Ryan,
I don't know if I can get my hat on after your expression of kind words. Likewise, it was a pleasure to meet and talk airplanes with you. I would encourage you to stick to your plan.
Always have goals and dreams that you seek to accomplish. Feel free to PM me if you think I could help.
John