Jet Lag From '96 Ford Explorer

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Jet Lag From '96 Ford Explorer

Post by blueldr »

Well, I finally got home from my summer in Yellowpine, Id., and after a week or so, the jet lag has finally worn off. It may be news to some of you younger guys, but at 92 yeare of age, a ten hour drive from Idaho to Rancho Cordova, Ca., will give you a real bitch of a jet lag. Takes about a week to ten days to clean it up.
It was a helluva hot summer at Yellowpine and the world famous Johnson Creek Airport. Many an evening it was still a hundred degrees F at 6 PM MDT dinner time.
Damned if I go way up there in the mountains at five thousand feet elevation for that kind of weather.
It's been real lean pickin's for campers up there this year. I guess fuel prices are slowing down flying a great deal. There were quite a few times that there was a completely empty camp ground. The airport was by far in the best shape I've ever seen it tn over twenty years. Phil and Roxie Pryor are the finest caretakers that they''ve ever had there. The place was immaculate, and the turf runway looked like a putting green.
The Super Cubs had a good turn out fot their annual fly-in with a Saturday evaning count of 124 airplanes. I guess those little old inky-dinky airplanes don't burn too much gas.
It's good to be home,even though it was a hundred degrees here again today.
BL
GAHorn

Re: Jet Lag From '96 Ford Explorer

Post by GAHorn »

I hope I'm as active as you when I'm 92.
Did you take the Vespa along?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Welcome back Dick! We held our breath all summer anticipating your return.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Dick, Bing maps tells me its 11.5 hours from Yellow Pine to Rancho Cordova. Even in your advance dotage you don't seem to be slowing down much if you did in 10! :lol:
gahorn wrote:I hope I'm as active as you when I'm 92. ...
AMEN!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Just wondering if we can have some Identifiers to this post...... I have a hard time with Names of towns :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dick I hope you are around for along time yet, I look forward to and do appreciate all your post......

Be Well

W.

Hi from Qingdao.... jet lag will come Weds when I depart....
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick, its good to see you back! Missed your contributions all summer. Glad you survived the heat in the mountains. Its not supposed to be that hot up there. Looking forward to your sharing more of your summer's exploits.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There's nothing better to have hangin' around than an old Dick.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

My normal routing betweem Yellowpine, ID., and my home in Rancho Cordova,Ca., which is about a 14 hours driving time, is to break the trip in two by stopping overnight in McDermit, Nevada, on the Nevada/Oregon line on US highway 95. That is about at the halfway point of the trip, and is anout 7 hours each way. This year I elected to stop for an overnight visit with my buddy Bill Nelson at his new home in Marsing, Id., and it resulted in the 10 hour remainder of the trip. Really a couple of hours too much for my comfort.
I have a old Yamaha ATV four wheeler up in Yellowpine that I use to get around on, so I did not try to take a Vespa up threre. Also, Vespas like pavemant to run on and Yellowpine has none. Actually, I've given up riding my remaining solo Vespa since, if it falls down with me, I'm barely able to get myself up and the Vespa, at over 300 pounds, is simply out of question. I have insalled a sidecar on one of the Vespas and would be using it except that my mechanic still has not yet repaired it for a broken drive belt. Believe me, it's discouraging as hell when you've been a mechanic all your life and then get so debilitated that you can't even work on your own motor scooter.
My summer "Home" up in Yellowpine is a 26 foot 5th wheel travel trailer that I took up there about seven or eight years ago. It is parked in a small RV park with complete hook ups and I just leave it there year around. I have a full length "Horse" running the length of the roof over which I have stretched tarpaulins
making a pitched roof to shed the snow in winter.
Phil and Roxie Pryor, the current caretakers at the Johnson Creek Airport, are truly my saviours in Idaho. They have both prepared my Travel Trailer for my summer occupancy and have "pickeled" it for winter storage for me. Both being jobs which I do not believe I could any longer accomplish myself.
There is no one else in Yellowpine that I could get to do that job for me.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick, I remember your telling us you were going to add that sidecar to your Vespa. Sounds like a good idea to me. That will make it much better traveling for you and provide extra room for whatever. Who knows you might pick up some good looking hiker with that side car :D . Just need to light a fire under your mechanic.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018