Normal operating oil temps

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

48RagwingPilot

Re: Normal operating oil temps

Post by 48RagwingPilot »

Thanks for posting. Anyone know the appropriate method of modifying the blast tube?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:Ok, here are the F&M install instructions.

"X. If air was provided to the oil temperature probe via a blast tube, the blast tube will need to be modified to provide air to the new location of the oil temperature probe."
image.jpg
Also if you're running straight 100 weight oil in 40F+ ambient, your oil temp redline is increased from 225F to 240F. Surprised no one has mentioned that.
image.jpg
What didn't I say?....
gahorn wrote:Those temps are just fine. With SAE 50 oil, the temp is allowed to go to 240 per the engine type certificate. (Many other models of engines/airplanes strive to get their temps up to the level you are experiencing in order to get the water vapor out of the oil.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

48RagwingPilot wrote:Thanks for posting. Anyone know the appropriate method of modifying the blast tube?
Overheard this weekend (name withheld to protect the innocent) was a modification of a blast tube with an old (PMA- passes my approval) lawn chair. Same size tubing and already bent at the correct angle.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Ryan Smith wrote:
48RagwingPilot wrote:Thanks for posting. Anyone know the appropriate method of modifying the blast tube?
Overheard this weekend (name withheld to protect the innocent) was a modification of a blast tube with an old (PMA- passes my approval) lawn chair. Same size tubing and already bent at the correct angle.
I love that. I was looking over a friend of mines Championship winning hot rod (British oval dirt racing) and asked him what steel he had used for the suspension arms (He is obsessive about unsprung weight). I said "is it 4130 ?" He replied "no, it is table steel". I said "whats that?", he said he had cut it off his wife's garden table.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019