Importing from Canada?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Importing from Canada?

Post by bagarre »

This thread didn't take the course I expected but No harm, no foul.

I wouldn't say that your advice isn't wanted but rather the internet makes intent difficult to determine.
I appreciate you asking around the field for me and I will definitely look up the Red Star Pilot's Assoc. Thanks!

For sure, the Yak 52 is the most affordable aerobatic radial on the market and perfect first step to bigger things.

-David
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

voorheesh wrote:................. After re-reading what I wrote, I realize it too was probably taken the wrong way. Therefore, I am going to stop offering advice on this forum because I am now realizing it is not welcome and I am probably not the best source anyway. ...........
What a pity, please do not stop. All of us have our contributions to make to this group and I for one value the information you put forth.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Sounds like I was wrong saying a Yak could not be certificated in restricted category. As Downey pointed out, the FAA can determine a special purpose so maybe these Yaks at HAF have some operational purpose that suits the owner better than experimental exhibition. An FAA office might have steered them in that direction. Restricted category aircraft have to be designated for some kind of work function and cannot be used for any other purpose. I thought that the manufacturer had to specify the special purpose in the type certificate (except for U.S. Military surplus aircraft). 91.313 limits carriage of a passenger in a restricted category A/C. The majority of Yak 52s in the US are in experimental exhibition category. Whatever, its kind of interesting. :)
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

At the airport today I talked to my FAA Friend, He says Voorhees is correct, special purpose can not be carrying of passengers.

He asked, where the Yak was built. (Russia or China)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

What's the difference between a yak 52 and a Nanchang CJ-6? . The reason I ask is for awhile they were available by the boatload.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

Aryana wrote:The wing on the CJ-6 isn't as good. It's similar to the wing on the 18T.

Oh and some 52's don't have a heavy spar which limits their G load envelope and also lowers their value.
back in the 90s, I had two good friends killed when the wing came off a CJ-6
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

c170b53 wrote:What's the difference between a yak 52 and a Nanchang CJ-6? . The reason I ask is for awhile they were available by the boatload.
About as much difference between a 170 and a Stinson. Two totally different airplanes.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Harlow, please don't allow an unfortunate response from someone who complains about advice (which they requested) discourage you from contributing to these discussions.
Trust me.....If that were a good action, these forums would have ended about 14 years ago. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Just when the thread was getting useful
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

I just want to say that I appreciate words of encouragement but I also understand David Ross's frustration with a casual internet chat becoming overly serious. His advice to "relax" is well taken. My problem is I tend to take aviation a little too seriously. Having said that, I never intend to talk down to anyone, and really want to help if possible. Importantly, I am not in any way the last word on FAA issues. :D
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:David, the M-14 is tough as nails and really easy to work on. Parts haven't been a problem at all if you know where to look.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I'm pretty close to Kevin Kimball, manufacturer of the Model 12 Pitts. He's been very instrumental in parts support for the M-14 series engines. I believe Barrett Performance Aircraft does a lot of work for these engines, and is his preferred supplier/shop.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

When I thought of CJ-6 and Yak52, I thought they were similar thinking they both used MP14 engines but reading some specs the output seems to vary significantly between variants.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I don't know guys. It might have a round tail but these things have never appealed to me. So in keeping with the thread topic I am no help with the import question. :lol: :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Wow Aryana, You really know your Yaks! I'll need to bend your ear a lot more before I drag one home.
Bruce, I'm on the fence with it's looks too. It's got a round tail AND a round engine and you can play junior jet fighter...but man, does it have an ugly landing gear under it.
But for aerobatic 2 plane plane that can be kept in a cornfield, there really is no other. The thing is built like a tank!

It's also a good step in learning to fly a plane with a few more systems onboard. Someday, I want two of those round engines to deal with.

At this point, the thread should probably be split as it has nothing to do with Canada and everything to do with the Yak52 in general.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Perhaps a phone call to Gord Price here in Canada might help. He has a beautiful Yak 50 that he aerobats in Thornbury, Ontario. Gord is very much the authority on aerobatics and Yak aircraft :D

http://www.thedampub.ca