Importing from Canada?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Importing from Canada?

Post by bagarre »

Has anyone been involved with importing a plane from Canada into the US?
It would be in the Experimental- Exhibition and was once registered in the US.
It's not a C170, It's a Yak52
I'm trying to figure out the process/cost.

Thanks!
-David
T. C. Downey

Re: Importing from Canada?

Post by T. C. Downey »

bagarre wrote:Has anyone been involved with importing a plane from Canada into the US?
It would be in the Experimental- Exhibition and was once registered in the US.
It's not a C170, It's a Yak52
I'm trying to figure out the process/cost.

Thanks!
-David
IT's mostly paper work plus an annual and AD compliance. I do a couple a year. you must request a "N" number for it and have that in place prior to the FAA airworthiness inspection is complete.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Hows the annual and AD check work if the plane is Experimental?
Is is just a condition inspection?
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Isn't Transport Canada pretty strict about modifications to aircraft, i.e.: no 337s, only STCs or approved mods?

It would seem to me that import from there would be a lot easier than the converse.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Ryan Smith wrote:Isn't Transport Canada pretty strict about modifications to aircraft, i.e.: no 337s, only STCs or approved mods?

It would seem to me that import from there would be a lot easier than the converse.
This plane is in the Experimental / Exhibition category. I don't think 337's and STC's apply for getting a US Airworthy Cert.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

An aircraft with an experimental exhibition airworthiness certificate must have operating limitations issued by the FAA and an annual program letter where the owner specifies the home base, exhibition schedule, and any other planned flight activities. The program letter is accepted by the FAA. Most inspectors will allow an owner considerable leeway in operations but you need to know that these aircraft are on somewhat of a leash. The operating limitations are linked to the airworthiness certificate and are mandatory. They are standard and samples can be found on line at the FAA FSIMs site. Experimental aircraft receive an annual condition inspection per the operating limitations that verifies safe condition for operation. Condition inspections can be accomplished by a qualified A&P mechanic meaning the technician should have familiarity/experience with the aircraft being inspected. ADs might apply if the aircraft or a component is subject to the AD. Some high performance experimental exhibition aircraft have specific maintenance programs/requirements usually based on the specs from the country of origin. You should research this and get advice from an organization/someone who has expertise with these airframes. If this aircraft was previously registered in the United States, you should research the basis of its airworthiness certificate and operating limitations during that timeframe. For import and certification information, contact your local FSDO and ask for an airworthiness inspector. You should ask the FAA about the procedures to be followed for issuance of an experimental airworthiness certificate including which "group" this Yak falls into. For example, if it is a group 5 aircraft like a L-39, it may have more stringent maintenance and conformance requirements. All of this is good to know before you sign up for a project like this.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

bagarre wrote:Hows the annual and AD check work if the plane is Experimental?
Is is just a condition inspection?
Yak 52 is not amateur built, it will get a restricted certificate and what ever that certificate say is what will happen.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

bagarre wrote:
Ryan Smith wrote:Isn't Transport Canada pretty strict about modifications to aircraft, i.e.: no 337s, only STCs or approved mods?

This plane is in the Experimental / Exhibition category. I don't think 337's and STC's apply for getting a US Airworthy Cert.
Today is 2014, :) I do not think you will get a Exhibition certificate, most probably a restricted category will be issued.

That's only my opinion.

If it will go exhibition ??

This aircraft should be a group 2 aircraft as per para 4110 of the order 8130.2G

(2) Type of Aircraft. Examples of aircraft that could operate under this group include, but are not limited to, aircraft such as the Yak-52; SU-31; SIAI-Marchetti S.M.1019, AN-2; all single-engine piston-powered WWII fighters; and small helicopters.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Well, if it goes Restricted vs Exhibition it will be pretty much useless to me.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

There is no way a Yak would be in restricted category. Restricted is for special purpose such as aerial application, fire fighting, etc.. It is eligible for Experimental Exhibition and sounds like it is group 2 which is good because there are fewer if any maintenance requirements. You should be getting advice from experienced Yak owners and from the FAA concerning getting it imported and certificated.
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

voorheesh wrote:There is no way a Yak would be in restricted category. Restricted is for special purpose such as aerial application, fire fighting, etc.. It is eligible for Experimental Exhibition and sounds like it is group 2 which is good because there are fewer if any maintenance requirements. You should be getting advice from experienced Yak owners and from the FAA concerning getting it imported and certificated.
The Quote from the Regulations:

A restricted category special airworthiness certificate is issued to operate aircraft that have been type certificated in the restricted category. Operation of restricted category aircraft is limited to special purposes identified in the applicable type design. These special purpose operations include the following:
Agricultural (spraying, dusting, seeding, and livestock and predatory animal control).
Forest and wildlife conservation.
Aerial surveying (photography, mapping, and oil and mineral exploration).
Patrolling (pipe lines, power lines, and canals).
Weather control (cloud seeding).
Aerial advertising (skywriting, banner towing, airborne signs, and public address systems).
Any other operation specified by the Administrator.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

So, why would it NOT go into the Exhibition category?

I thought with as many airplane experts around here, someone might have had to go thru this before.
So it seemed like a logical place to start.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

To begin with a Yak is not type certificated in the restricted category. It is a military surplus aircraft that is eligible for experimental exhibition certification in the US. This is the wrong place for you to come with these questions. I have tried to give you some advice based on my employment but even my input is not 100% reliable because I do not deal with these issues on a day by day basis. Once again, contact your local FAA office where you will not only find reliable information, you will probably meet the person who will process your applications should you decide to get this aircraft. :roll:
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

voorheesh wrote:This is the wrong place for you to come with these questions.
I guess the only stupid question is the one asked on this forum.
I was asking if someone had done it before and could offer advice or talk about the experience on the topic.
That's why I posted it in the Pilot Lounge "A place to relax and discuss flying topics." I would consider this to be a flying topic, No?

I certainly didn't ask for a lesson on the types of aircraft categories are out there.

So, relax.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

I was at the airport today and the guy 2 hangars down is finishing a restoration of a Yak 52 so I ran your question by him. He advised that all Yak 52s in the US are in Experimental Exhibition. He recommends anyone considering buying a Yak to look to the Red Star Pilot's Assoc. for advice. He says it is a straight forward airplane but parts are hard to get and technical assistance is sometimes hard to come by. He told me it is not as simple as it looks. Having said all that, he believes the airplane is worth it.

Now I obviously offended you in these posts so please accept my sincere apology. The mistake I made was in thinking you were asking for some information or advice that I am in a position to give you feedback on. My only intention was to help you. I would expect the same from a fellow 170 owner if I needed advice on a subject that person was familiar with. I don't play games. The problem with the internet is that we do not know each other which means that I didn't realize you were looking for a low key discussion about importing and you probably thought I was trying to lecture you on certification. Last Friday, another pilot was wondering about medical flight tests and I tried to help him because that is a subject I am familiar with. After re-reading what I wrote, I realize it too was probably taken the wrong way. Therefore, I am going to stop offering advice on this forum because I am now realizing it is not welcome and I am probably not the best source anyway. So, no hard feelings and good luck if you decide to go with a Yak.