ASI

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

ASI

Post by 170C »

I have been given a Letter of Authority by the FAA to pursue a flight test regarding my vision impairment and that involves taking a flight test with an Aviation Safety Inspector. Is the ASI a designation exclusive to FSDO inspectors or are there non FAA employees/pilots that meet the requirements? Although I have not contacted all personnel in the nearest FSDO, the one I talked to told me he wasn't current and neither was a second one in his office. DUH! :roll: I have the name of another FSDO supervisor to contact next week to find out if they have any qualified inspectors with tail wheel experience. Seems to be a shortage these days. I am just attempting to determine who is qualified in the eyes of the FAA to conduct the test so I can get it scheduled.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: ASI

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Could be wrong but I think you are limited to FAA Safety Inspectors. Sad you can't find a qualified one. Good luck. Call Ken Spivey and or Scott Lyn. I don't think either of them are in your FSDO but they are on the inside and they might be able to make a call on your behalf to make it easier to find a qualified Inspector.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
canav8

Post by canav8 »

170C wrote:I have been given a Letter of Authority by the FAA to pursue a flight test regarding my vision impairment and that involves taking a flight test with an Aviation Safety Inspector. Is the ASI a designation exclusive to FSDO inspectors or are there non FAA employees/pilots that meet the requirements? Although I have not contacted all personnel in the nearest FSDO, the one I talked to told me he wasn't current and neither was a second one in his office. DUH! :roll: I have the name of another FSDO supervisor to contact next week to find out if they have any qualified inspectors with tail wheel experience. Seems to be a shortage these days. I am just attempting to determine who is qualified in the eyes of the FAA to conduct the test so I can get it scheduled.
Pokey, this can be a slippery slope. The short answer is no, there is no designated inspectors other the FAA. The closest thing in general aviation is a Designated Pilot Examiner(DPE) but the FAA does not bestow that privilege of ASI to a DPE. It is the job to get a qualified ASI to your region to take a ride and it is not incumbent onto the applicant. You are in Texas correct? I can make a couple calls and see if I can get a name of someone that can favorably examine you.
If I cannot do it then the order would be:
Contact the AOPA for assistance
Get a hold of a current flight instructor. They will probably need to make a recommendation for you.
Then CALL, do not write your local FSDO. The best thing to do is, do this verbally so there is a minimal paper trail. I promise you this is definitely the fastest route.
I would also recommend you do this in a tricycle gear aircraft rather then a tailwheel aircraft. It is all single engine category. That way Most if not all FAA ASI can do it. They are all qualified.
Remember that the FAA is a government service and this ride shall not incur expense.
I have experience with Special Issuance procedures but I can say no two have ever been the same.
If you have questions, give me a call (702)Four99Four98Nine. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks guys! You have confirmed what I suspected, but didn't want to hear. I will call back to my local FSDO (Nashville) next week and speak to the person for whom I was given a number and see what he has to offer. I want to get things lined up so I might be able to make use of a short term 3rd class medical, provided I pass their flight test. Once the letter of authorization has been mailed, it is valid for only 6 months. I will need a bit of practice to be proficient in my plane prior to the test. If all else fails I can rent a 172 trike, but to do so will entail more time and expense to become comfortable in that aircraft. If I didn't know any better I would be shocked that the agency requiring a flight test didn't maintain a staff member who was qualified to administer the test ie: current certificate and tail wheel current. But alas, I am likelyexpecting too much. Maybe I will get a pleasant surprise and have to eat my words.

I will keep our FAA members in mind if I run up against the ole brick wall.

Doug, thanks for your offer and if needed I will get in contact with you. No, we are no longer in TX, we are in TN now.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Frank, did you disclose the type aircraft you were wanting to do it in? the problem I have seen in the past is no FAA guy is tailwheel current so they automatically say they are not qualified but little do they remember that it is not the tailwheel that is the concern. The usually are single engine qualified. Try to do it in a tricycle for ease of streamlining this. I see the problem already and none of the new Feds want to go fly in a tailwheel. It is crazy I tell ya but this is a big problem nationally not regionally.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

There may be a delay in finding an FAA Inspector (ASI) for any general aviation flight test at the present time due to some recent changes to the FAA flight currency program that has resulted in some inspectors losing currency. I recommend you contact your FSDO and get an appointment or get on the list so they can schedule you when an ASI is available. If you encounter a delay, you might want to ask if another office has an available ASI, even if you have to fly to the appointment. If that happens (obviously) have a qualified pilot fly with you to the appointment. Believe it or not, there have been cases where unqualified pilots fly to their FAA appointment which has predictable results. FAA employees need to be tailwheel current for any test in that type aircraft so if you can do it in a tricycle gear airplane you have a much better chance of finding an available ASI. Outside of AK, there is not that much tailwheel activity and it is not that easy to find a qualified training provider with conventional gear airplanes. That is the reason there are not many tailwheel current ASIs.

Most eye tests involve deficiency in one eye and the FAA publishes procedures for the test in its 8900.1 order which is available on line from faa.gov (See medical flight tests). If I remember, the ASI will evaluate your ability to perform normal flight operations. There will be an emphasis on ability to spot traffic and to make visual observations of objects/landmarks on the ground. For example, you may be asked to identify a landmark on a sectional and then point it out on the ground. Takeoff, landing, taxiing, and any other operation involving eyesight will be evaluated. It is certainly a good idea for you to look up as much information on the test and then practice with a CFI or pilot friend beforehand. If your eye test is for a different reason, find out what is involved for the test and make sure you are prepared. If you have any other questions or need advice, please pm me. I cannot give you an "in" or get you "special treatment" but I would be more than happy to help if needed.

I actually did one of these tests years ago for Jack McCullough of Merced, CA in a Cessna 170B. Jack had picked that airplane up from the factory in the early 50s for the Red Top Ranch and he and his wife Gail both flew it for years. Jack was basically blind in one eye and needed a flight test to get his medical back. I am pretty sure I am not violating any privacy rules by telling you that he flew that airplane beautifully and there was no doubt in my mind he was as safe as any private pilot could be. Sadly, Jack passed away a few years ago. Good luck and hope you get your test passed with minimal problems.
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks for the information from each of you. The FSDO employee did provide me with the FSIMS website data and I pulled it up and read what may be expected from the examiner on the test. The list didn't seem too daunting unless they pull something out of the bag that would be totally unexpected.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, be aware that any ASI will also be alert to any deficiencies in YOUR aircraft. For that reason, many elect to rent for such a flight test.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Point well taken George. You mean I might get a ramp check at the same time as my test? Wouldn't that be a kicker to not be able to take the test because some minor decal or similar item didn't meet the holy grail :(
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

It is SOP in most FAA offices for an applicant's aircraft to have a ramp and records check by an airworthiness inspector before they will let the Operations ASI fly it. It has been my experience that more aircraft go home on ferry permits than actually get to fly on the flight tests and it is usually not associated with the Holy Grail. You should ask the office giving you the flight test what to bring with you in the way of maintenance records for the airplane and then have an A&P look it over before you go for your test. A competent technician should spot anything that would get the attention of the FAA.

Some examples of what I have seen that will prevent you from flying: Excessive oil leaks, missing fasteners, cracks that have not been addressed, defective tires/brakes, interior problems such as headliners hanging down/blocking pilot's vision, torn carpeting that interferes with rudder/brake controls, undocumented installations, undocumented/non-compliance airworthiness directives. And more. I have seen airplanes flown in a condition that would not be acceptable for most people in automobiles. And they are frequently flown by pilots who want to be instructors. Certainly there are inspectors who are overly "nit picking" but my vote is for all of us pilots to be just as nit picking. If new pilots are taught it is SOP to fly defective equipment, where is GA going? We can do better. In the spirit of event communications, please don't take this the wrong way. I sincerely hope your experience with the FAA is a good one and you will be able to continue flying!
170C

Post by 170C »

Once again I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks! My call last week to the FSDO left me with a bit of sarcasm which likely was unwarranted :!: Today's call to a supervisor (a suggestion from last weeks FSDO person) yielded a completely different response :D I was told that there have been some delays in getting inspectors up to speed (probably a budget issue----MY ASSUMPTION) but that should be completed in a couple of weeks. This individual was friendly, helpful and encouraging. He made me want to get up to speed and complete the test successfully.This is the way the system is supposed to work. I was told that a tail dragger should not be a problem. We will see how this comes out.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018