Safety Stands

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Re: Safety Stands

Post by C170U2 »

I should probably just add not in motion coverage to my insurance policy.....

You can kind of see the clearance issue in the attached photo.
Attachments
DSC_0083.JPG
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I wish I had access to a hangar so I could have problems like this :D

Not in motion insurance is a very good idea.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Mike, I finally got the answer to your problem. Bring your plane to Harvey Field while you deploy. I will take great care of it.
buzzlatka

Post by buzzlatka »

Mike, I have a set of those bogart safety stands in KSAC that I am not using. You are welcome to borrow them.
Steve
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

There's a J3 in a hangar across the way that's kept up on small bottle jacks to keep tires from flat-spotting. I'm not sure what he uses for jack points on the gear legs, but they're down near the axles.
canav8

Post by canav8 »

DaveF wrote:There's a J3 in a hangar across the way that's kept up on small bottle jacks to keep tires from flat-spotting. I'm not sure what he uses for jack points on the gear legs, but they're down near the axles.
Bogart also sells jack pads for cessna gear.
http://bogertaviation.com/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=23
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you have hull insurance....surely it already covers while hangared...??? But you might look into your lessors hangarkeepers insurance if you lease.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

The problem with the Cessna jack pad is that the brake line has to be moved out of the way. I found on my 170A that the landing gear extends slightly lower than the brake caliper and you can easily fit a 4X4 under it to act as an emergency support in case the tire goes soft/flat. You would not want to depend on this to change a tire but it appears easy to install/remove and would prevent the other wing from going up.
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I currently keep blocks of wood under the caliper/gear leg. My worry is that a deflated tire would push the blocks of wood out and not allow the plane to rest on the blocks. I haven't had time to get out and attempt my solution, which will be to add a 2x6 between the current blocks of wood. I will report back how it works out.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Mike,
Have you considered tying the wings down? I notice in your hangar picture you have a frame along the ground below the wing tie down rings that might work.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"