Safety Stands

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

Safety Stands

Post by C170U2 »

I keep my 170 (sitting on 800x6 tires) in a small port-a-port t-hangar and the wings come really close to the hangar ceiling. I try to always remember to put some blocks of wood under the gear leg in case I was to lose air in a tire. I am looking for a more elegant solution that I have a little more confidence in. Has anyone made some sort of stand, and if so would you mind sharing some pictures? My nightmare scenario is opening up the hangar door and seeing a wing crumpled because of a deflated tire. Thanks!
voorheesh

Re: Safety Stands

Post by voorheesh »

Ok, I am from Fresno so please cut me some slack if this sounds like a reel stoopid question. The plane is in a hangar and the wings are close to the ceiling. If the tire goes flat, isn't the wing going to go lower (away) from the ceiling? Plane sinks lower? I think I have seen a Port A Port but maybe I am missing something. Maybe a little more info? Does it have something to do with the hangar door opening? :lol:

Just figured it out.. one tire goes flat, opposite wing goes up. Must be a tight fit. Thinking about moving to Bakersfield.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I thought in Cali, everyone ran those really low profile tires. Try those, should solve the problem. Or, Get out NOW, move to WA. Fly for ALASKA and by real tires!

Jughead
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Is there room to put a 4X4 block of wood under the base of the landing gear below where the axel attaches? Brake line shouldn't be a problem down there. That seems like the simplest way to catch it. I would worry about blocking the landing gear higher up because it might slip. Awhile ago, someone posted a picture of a cradle that fits under the door post bulkhead to support the fuselage if you remove the gear but it may be more than you need.
Paul-WI

Post by Paul-WI »

I suppose you could install a tire pressure monitor and have it send a signal to your cell phone when the tire pressure drops below a predetermined pressure. Or maybe have a tire pressure minder (like a battery minder) that keeps that tires at a steady pressure). Just kidding. Sounds like you are doing the easiest and cheapest thing. I understand what you mean by clearance. If one tire goes flat, the other wing will raise up. Have you measured the clearance between the wing and the ceiling. It may still be sufficient even with a low or flat tire.

Paul
Paul
N3458D
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

There is only about 2 inches between the wing and the ceiling. My fear with my current wood block setup is that if the tire goes flat and pushes the sidewall outward it would push the wood away from the gearleg and do nothing to prop up the plane. Maybe I'll pull it out of the hangar, deflate a tire and see what happens.

Jughead - My wife likes your idea best!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

At some point in the past I seem to remember there being available some sort of jack point you can get that fits between the axle bolts and the inside of the gear leg. A forums search might be fruitful, or George or Bruce might remember something about it.

Another solution might be to jack up the hangar. :twisted:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Miles your thinking of the L-9 towing lug or ring that can be mounted with the axle bolts. It is designed for towing. It might also hold up the airplane with some sort of jack under it but one would have to decide that on their own.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Bruce - I have solid axels so those stands wont work.....but I like the idea. When I deploy for long periods I take the wheels off and let the axels rest on blocks of wood. This give me the warm fuzzy that everything will be as I left it when I return. It also keeps the tires from flat spotting.

I'm thinking an easy solution might be a custom built, padded stand, that could easily be pushed in and out under the gearbox.
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Thinking outside the box. Get a hose with a screw on connector for the valve stem on each end. When you park the airplane, connect the hose to each tire. If one goes flat. the hose will equalize the pressure and they will both go flat, lowering both wings at the same time. Or attach your blocks to a 2x6 or 2x8 plank cut to the correct length to reach from the end of one main gear to the end of the other main gear. That way the tire would not push the blocks out.

Tim
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Consider this.

Jack up the Box!

Remove plane, jack up the Port a Port. Install pressure treated 4x4 along perimeter. Special attention to anchoring to pavement. You do have pavement , correct.

Use pressure treated 2x4 along bottom of doors.

Variations on this them exist at St Loius downtown Arprt Cahokia.

You need head room
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

All good ideas...thanks. I thinkin I am leaning towards this recommendation: "Or attach your blocks to a 2x6 or 2x8 plank cut to the correct length to reach from the end of one main gear to the end of the other main gear. That way the tire would not push the blocks out." That seems like a pretty good solution. I'll let you guys know how it works out!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce means the L-NINETEEN (19) tow adaptors. They're fairly strong and I'll be they'll hold up the airplane. But they'd still require a stand which might be pushed aside if the tire deflates.
Maybe you should simply deflate both tires before you leave the plane? :lol:

With so little clearance ...I'd be surprised you could ever feel confident. What if the airplane was especially light and stood taller? What if the fuel leaked out? What if there was an earthquake? What if the barometric pressure fell and the tires IN-flated. :lol:

Seriously, you might try deflating a tire to see how it affects matters. YOu might find it is a moot point.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

I should probably just add not in motion coverage to my insurance policy.....

You can kind of see the clearance issue in the attached photo.
Attachments
DSC_0083.JPG
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I wish I had access to a hangar so I could have problems like this :D

Not in motion insurance is a very good idea.