Dual XGPS170 experience?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rydfly

Dual XGPS170 experience?

Post by rydfly »

Hi folks,

My Dual XGPS150A bluetooth GPS unit has just died and I'm contemplating its replacement. I've spoken with customer service at Dual and they assure me that my failure mode (totally dead, won't charge, won't operate while plugged in) is not typical. I've had great luck with it for the past 2-3 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another to use with my Ipad2 + WingX Pro7. However, this presents a good opportunity to upgrade to the ADS-B capable XGPS170 unit. There's a significant price difference between the two, however ($99 vs. $549).

Does anyone have 1st-hand experience using the XPS170? I understand that the whole ADS-B thing is still somewhat in its infancy, but it sounds like there's a good amount of coverage in my area and it would be handy to have the in-flight weather/radar info that comes with it. It's certainly more of a "want" than a "must" feature for a VFR pilot like me, though. Besides cost, there is a trade-off in battery life between the two, 6-8hrs for the simple 150, 4-5 for the 170. I see that as a minor inconvenience since most flights aren't nearly that duration, and you can still operate it while charging in the cigar lighter port if needed.

So... let's hear those informed opinions, please?

Thanks!

-Kennet
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
KS170A

Re: Dual XGPS170 experience?

Post by KS170A »

I do not have an XGPS unit of any kind, but having weather in the cockpit is a huge asset. I used to subscribe to XM Weather on my 496 but the $50+ per month quickly adds up. Less than a year of that and you'd have the XGPS170 paid for. All in what is valuable to you. If you're strictly VFR and don't do much cross-country, perhaps more than you need. I'm looking hard at a Stratus2 (I use Foreflight), but I also fly a turboprop all over the place so it's of more value to me than just in the 170.
--Josh
1950 170A
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes I have a XGPS170 and I have some time using it flying cross country to St Louis this year. First off in a 170 battery life should not be a problem as you can charge it easily while it is in use.

I'm assuming you don't have an IPad with data and so you require an external GPS and that is why you owned the GPS150. If you did have data capability you would find as I did that for the most part you can receive wx over the cell data while airborne. Since I have both I can tell you the wx received over data while airborne is as good and nearly as reliable as that provided by ADS-B.

So you might want to consider spending the money upgrading your IPad. Of course to take advantage of the data you will have to buy a data package unless you are already doing so with a phone you own. You don't have to have a data plan to use the built in GPS an IPad with data capability has and the internal GPS works every bit as well as the external you might buy. So upgrading the IPad might still be a better choice.

As for my XGPS170, I bought it on a wim before the 2013 convention. Paid $750 for it the going rate at the time. The unit I first received had a dead ADS-B receiver. I flew all the way to Kentucky and half way back to Pennsylvania before I realized the wx I was getting was from cell data not the ADS-B. I did get a replacement unit that works and it has sat in the box after I tested it until this years convention trip. It does work and you might get wx you wouldn't with cell data but I'm not sure I'd miss it. The XGPS170 is just not worth the hassle to get it out for weekend flying around the area. I already know what wx I'm going to run into for those trips.

Fact is I tried to sell my XGPS170 but didn't have any takers. It's now 14 months old and basically used 14 hours. I'll sell it to you should you decide to buy one for $450.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Thanks for the input fellas. I still haven't made up my mind on the matter yet, but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on a new '170.

Bruce, your offer is tempting. Having a warranty on a new unit has its advantages though (as you found out, evidently)

-Kennet
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes Kennet, a warrenty is nice and I don't blame you for going that route for the difference. I can't offer it for less (and you didn't ask me to) given what I foolishly paid for it at it's unveiling.

Just be sure your married to WingX and or you that you don't want to spend just a bit more and get one with AHRS ability or... or.....or... :cry:

W :evil: onder what will be new next year?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com