This is for Bruce

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

This is for Bruce

Post by GAHorn »

All that sophistication and equipment and talent.... (but he makes sure his Garmin 296 is on the dashboard!) LOL

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bC2XIGMI2kM
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: This is for Bruce

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yep. All that stuff and they probably can't carry any of it into the office and preprogram a route or power it up without the AC running to check weather in the field or upload any of the 435 user waypoints in their hospital database. I can't do any of the above with my 1 year old "state of the art" integrated 430/530/MX200 in my EC-145.

Hand held devices are relatively in expensive, and since they don't come with $10k or installation and paperwork, they can be upgraded with the newest technology quickly bringing features, many safety enhancements, to the cockpit decades before it will ever be installed in the panel.

It's getting rare these days to find an EMS helicopter without at least one obsolete Garmin 430. Usually installed in the exact location of the Loran it replaced nearly out of reach of the pilot and definitely not in any normal eye scan.

If you where epaulets while you fly your probably not using a hand held device but they aren't that uncommon in the cockpit for pilots who doing down and dirty work.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com